A Toffee view on moyes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Toffee view on moyes

Post by Starbuck19777 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:30 pm

I was going to do a bit of a blog on the possibility of Moyes and what he may and may not bring to us.....if the rumours were to become reality. Anyway, this is a pretty good Toffee opinion from a very level headed fan that I've known for near twenty years. So here you go people. For the record, he'd not of been my first choice in the summer but no luxury of a foreign manager getting time to cut his teeth now, so I feel we need what notes brings. A tight ship, a 47% win ratio over 11 years. Anyway see what you make of it.

Hi mate,

I have a lot of respect for what he did at Everton, and how he transformed us from regular relegation candidates to perennial Top 8 finishers.  

He was like a breath of fresh air when he first came in, giving everyone a lot more belief in themselves.  We finished 7th in his first full season, although things really went awry the following season when we finished 17th.  To go from there to 4th the following season was still probably our greatest achievement of the last 20 years.  

He was great at picking out talent for low prices, and he set us up as very hard to beat.  We managed to finish 5th a few times, and got to the FA Cup Final in 2009.  Were it not for three of our best players being out injured for the final - Jagielka, Arteta and Yakubu - we might even have won it.

In the end, Moyes was probably at Everton for a couple of years too long.  He became obsessed with our relative lack of money, and was always talking of "glass ceilings" holding us back, and describing any game against Top 4 opposition as like "taking a knife to a gun fight."  I know a lot of Evertonians, myself included, got sick of this defeatist attitude.  He always talked about plucky little Everton, forgetting our history and the fact we were the 4th most successful English club in history.  How this was supposed to motivate and inspire our players is anyone's guess, and probably lies behind our appalling league record against the Sky Four during his tenure.

By the end, and particularly after the 3-0 FA Cup Quarter Final loss at home to Wigan, most of us thought enough was enough, and weren't too disappointed when it was announced he was going to Utd.  He got a great send off at his last home game.

From there though, he really blotted his copybook and damaged his reputation with Evertonians irreparably.  Although still contracted to us until the end of June, he was conducting Utd business out of Finch Farm, which didn't go well.  His public pursuit of Baines and Fellaini for a paltry amount was a disgrace, as were his comments about how we were holding back their career development by not letting them leave.  Complete hypocrite, as he went through the same with Lescott and Man City.  At the end of that summer, most Evertonians hated him, and so doing the double over Utd, especially with his final game being the defeat at Goodison, was especially sweet.

He was never right for Utd, although I think he was treated pretty shabbily there.  

Now some time has passed, I think we look at Moyes as someone that improved our squad and standing, and gave Martinez a great foundation for, hopefully, progression onto the next level.

I think he would do a great job for Villa at this point in time.  He'll bring stability, he'll tighten up your defence, and he'll get the maximum out of your players.  He would be a vast improvement over Sherwood, who is never a Premier League manager - too emotional and not the statesman a manager should be.

Sorry for the essay!  Hope this is ok.  I'd be really interested to read your blog.

Regards,

Tom

Starbuck19777
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Toffee view on moyes

Post by GadgetMan on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:41 pm

Cheers for this mate. If you do fancy doing a full on blog piece on the next villa manger and the runner and riders and want to include this then let me know and we can get it put in the blog section and I'll make sure it's shared and RT ETC! always good to get other fans views on these matters.

Just let me know and if you fancy it. We can make it your first official Blog article Very Happy A Starbucks exclusive haha!!

Ps I totally get where you're coming from with Moyes being a safe pair of hands over the lure of some foreign flair. Right now I can't quite get behind it. I crave something different in our approach to managers. We have the players and the management system at board level for a continental coach, so it would be totally villa to appoint. British manager from the continent haha!

Last edited by GadgetMan on Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
GadgetMan
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:11 pm

Starbuck19777 wrote:Now some time has passed, I think we look at Moyes as someone that improved our squad and standing, and gave Martinez a great foundation for, hopefully, progression onto the next level.

I think he would do a great job for Villa at this point in time.  He'll bring stability, he'll tighten up your defence, and he'll get the maximum out of your players.  He would be a vast improvement over Sherwood, who is never a Premier League manager - too emotional and not the statesman a manager should be.

That's exactly what I'd be looking for. We simply should not be looking to gamble in our current position. We need to rebuild the club and stabilise things.

That said, I completely understand the misgivings that people have about Moyes. It hasn't gone well for him at United and in Spain and so we have to wonder whether he's the same man he was. I also get what GadgetMan is saying about how he fits in with our strategy. He doesn't seem like the type of manager who would fit in well with our structure. Would he accept it? Would we be ripping up our structure and starting again?

Sandie

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Harte on Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:19 pm

Fascinating insight. Thank you for sharing.

Chris Harte
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum