Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who do you want as the next Villa manager?

36% 36% 
[ 4 ]
18% 18% 
[ 2 ]
9% 9% 
[ 1 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
36% 36% 
[ 4 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 11

Re: Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)

Post by Sandie on Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:39 pm

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/10044962/would-david-moyes-take-aston-villa-job-la-liga-weekly-guests-discuss

Would David Moyes trade Real Sociedad for Aston Villa if he was offered the chance?

That's one of the topics debated by Sky Sports' Spanish football experts Kevin Keatings and Terry Gibson on the latest episode of La Liga Weekly.

Villa sacked Tim Sherwood on Sunday morning and Moyes, who led Real Sociedad to a 4-0 win at Levante later that day, was installed as one of the bookmakers' frontrunners for the job.

Pressure had been growing on the former Everton and Manchester United boss with Sociedad still in the bottom half of the table, and our pundits felt he might be tempted by a return to the Premier League - but they felt the Villa job would be a risk.

"I think Moyes' ears are open to anything at the moment," said Keatings.

"Clearly he'd want to go back to the Premier League at some stage. He's got unfinished business, he feels wounded by what happened at Manchester United, but he is savvy enough to move on from that.

"I thought it was a good move for him to open up his horizons. He was always on record as saying he wanted to manage abroad at some stage and he's doing that now. He couldn't be in a better spot than San Sebastian in terms of lifestyle and all that entails.

"Is he improving them? It's been a year and you would probably say marginally, but not hugely. They should be around the top eight.

"The risk is if he goes down with Villa. Purely from his selfish point of view, does he feel there's enough to work on with the squad Villa have got?

"It's still relatively early in the season. Can he keep them up?"

Former Manchester United forward Gibson argued Moyes' reputation was unfairly tarnished during a tough period at Old Trafford in 2013-14.

However, when asked if he'd take the Villa job if he was in Moyes' shoes, he wasn't convinced it was the best idea.

"Personally I wouldn't, but I could understand it," Gibson said.

"He does feel wounded and people are so quick to forget in this game what a good job he did at Everton. His reputation was torn to shreds in such a short period of time. It was the impossible job following on from Fergie.

"There's a lot to achieve at Real Sociedad. I think they can achieve good things there. They aren't going to win the league, of course, but that's the same with most jobs that David Moyes will be offered.

"There is the issue at certain Premier League clubs, not just Villa, of what control a manager gets. He would dearly like the control he had at Everton under Bill Kenwright.

"Would he get that at Villa? Probably not."
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:10 pm

Hendrik Almstadt and Tom Fox persuaded Lerner that moneyball with mainly French young prospects was the way to go. They need to employ Remi Garde to give themselves a chance of keeping their own well paid jobs. Both Moyes and Rodgers would want more control than the moneyball system offers.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:24 pm

Which brings up another point, people knock Rodgers for the money he wasted at Liverpool but don't they have a similar strategy there? I know that they have a 'transfer committee' (a bit like how we looked at players suggested by Sherwood as well as the moneyball players) and was sure I heard something about FSG trying to use moneyball in recruitment. Paddy Reilly was even working for them before he came to us...

Would Rodgers go for that again or has he caught a cold on ceding control like that?
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:33 pm

Sandie wrote:Which brings up another point, people knock Rodgers for the money he wasted at Liverpool but don't they have a similar strategy there? I know that they have a 'transfer committee' (a bit like how we looked at players suggested by Sherwood as well as the moneyball players) and was sure I heard something about FSG trying to use moneyball in recruitment. Paddy Reilly was even working for them before he came to us...

Would Rodgers go for that again or has he caught a cold on ceding control like that?
I don't think he was at all happy with their recruitment methods. I would be surprised if he wanted to go through a similar process at the bottom end of the league knowing that if he succeeds in keeping us up, the composition of his squad next season would again be a total lottery.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:57 pm

You couldn't blame him, to be honest. I think he'll want the chance to rebuild his reputation somewhat.

Begs the question of who, if this situation with Garde's coaches becomes a stumbling block, we'd turn to.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:19 pm

Sandie wrote:You couldn't blame him, to be honest. I think he'll want the chance to rebuild his reputation somewhat.

Begs the question of who, if this situation with Garde's coaches becomes a stumbling block, we'd turn to.
We may well be left deciding between those candidates who would take the job at any price. I think we could all name a few in that category.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:20 pm

I think we are looking for a head coach rather than a manager.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan on Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:30 am

What poison is still in the club as a leftover from O'Neill?
South London Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:16 am

Not sure that there is any, any more?

I would say that the time to keep blaming O'Neill has passed. It's been five years since he went and that's been time we've spent reducing the wagebill and failing to return to the level he had us competing at. Most of O'Neill's players have gone and the problems we see now are the residues of (perhaps the last three) subsequent managers and the actions of the incompetent Lerner and his various lackeys. I wasn't a fan of O'Neill, he was responsible for the sky high wagebill and the timing of his exit was just plain spiteful but his complete control over football operations perhaps gave Lerner a honeymoon period where we all loved him an thought he was a great owner. Quite a turnaround in five years there.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan on Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:41 am

I think the only two players left from his era are Guzan and Gabby. Poison, not sure, require improvement? yes, capable of improvement? No

South London Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan on Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:41 am

Should we wait for Mourinho to get sacked from Chelsea and then appoint him?
South London Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:02 am

Imo Garde will come. I must admit to being about 12 hrs out of the loop, however I've read reports he may struggle to get his old staff, however that's the thing 'MAY' it will be a neogiation and a case of compensation, rarely do assistants and coaches not get released. I think it may hold up an immediate appointment, Ie today/tomorrow, but he'll be in place by the weekend imo! The fact it's this far down the road should leave us in no doubt this is the direction we wish to go and have clearly targeted Garde. It's just a small complication.

IF he weren't to come, I'd look to Frank DeBoer he's a head coach and worked under the same structure in Holland. High profile and a great coach.

Another name, Klinsmann!!
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by danclare82 on Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:09 am

GadgetMan wrote:Imo Garde will come. I must admit to being about 12 hrs out of the loop, however I've read reports he may struggle to get his old staff, however that's the thing 'MAY' it will be a neogiation and a case of compensation, rarely do assistants and coaches not get released. I think it may hold up an immediate appointment, Ie today/tomorrow, but he'll be in place by the weekend imo! The fact it's this far down the road should leave us in no doubt this is the direction we wish to go and have clearly targeted Garde. It's just a small complication.

IF he weren't to come, I'd look to Frank DeBoer he's a head coach and worked under the same structure in Holland. High profile and a great coach.

Another name, Klinsmann!!
DeBoer is one id be very happy with. Doing great at ajax (yes dutch league very different) but I reckon he would be very much like koeman. Its gunna be Garde tho isnt. I hope its done soon. new man needs to get in there asap.
danclare82
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:39 am

Four consecutive league titles (out of five seasons) is quite something. Would he leave that for us?
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by danclare82 on Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:48 am

Sandie wrote:Four consecutive league titles (out of five seasons) is quite something. Would he leave that for us?
I wouldn't thats for sure but the prem does have a big draw to it but we are in such a mess at the minute i wouldnt blame anyone for not wanting job.
danclare82
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum