Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who do you want as the next Villa manager?

36% 36% 
[ 4 ]
18% 18% 
[ 2 ]
9% 9% 
[ 1 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
36% 36% 
[ 4 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 11

Re: Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)

Post by Sandie on Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:19 pm

Sorry, it was Almstadt who had been monitoring him for some time. Whether that is actual monitoring or Sherwood monitoring is up to interpretation.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:33 pm

I see potential in Remi Garde, but at the age of 49 he only has three seasons of management with his boyhood club under his belt.

How will he cope in the very different atmosphere of the Premier League? It's a pressure cooker situation at Villa right now, and I worry how quickly Garde would adapt to a situation which has broken much better prepared managers.

Moyes spoke of the amount of "poison" you are prepared to take in order to survive a Premier League job, and as much as I would enjoy watching a totally different european approach at AVFC I think this would be a highly questionable appointment. I honestly think that appointing Remi Garde on the strength of his one job at a club that was never under relegation pressure, and which ended eighteen months ago, is far too risky.

I would try to get Moyes/Rodgers before taking a huge leap into the unknown.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:35 pm

Sandie wrote:Sorry, it was Almstadt who had been monitoring him for some time. Whether that is actual monitoring or Sherwood monitoring is up to interpretation.
I can imagine Almstadt talking him up to Fox and discrete enquiries being made behind the scenes. That sounds feasible.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:58 pm

I think the perilous situation we are in means a lot of fans (probably myself included) want a red adair character to keep us in the league. What we're not doing is trying to conceive an appointment that contributes to some kind of longer term or strategy. After our Red Adair keeps us up, what then? Would they be the man to build something? Moyes can build decent performing but uninspiring sides but for me is very much the old fashioned type of British manager. He's like a much better version of Martin O'Neill. Not sure if that lends itself to a long term plan.

Garde on the other hand is probably an appointment geared towards some kind of long term strategy or plan. He laid the groundwork in rebuilding Lyon if you believe all the articles we've had linked here. He'd no doubt fit in with our more continental organizational structure. It works well in that regard but it simply has to pay off in terms of keeping us in the division before we can think too much about a longer term plan.

SSN linking Poyet. Wouldn't want him but not convinced he's as bad as some make out.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:40 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:
Sandie wrote:Looking like Garde is nailed on.

Lots of knockers on the Facebook groups writing him off before we're even sure he is the next manager but he can't be any worse than his predecessor. Looking over the articles and tweets there's plenty of cause for cautious optimism should he be the man. Something that leaped out for me is a comment that the club have 'been watching him for some time'. I refuse to believe that we had done such a thing with Sherwood before appointing him so this is some sort of progress. Though Tim always said that about the players we signed in the summer so maybe they're just saying it and really got the idea from our very own GadgetMan and his posts on this topic since a couple of weeks ago Very Happy
I don't see how Villa can have been "watching Garde for some time" because he's not managed a club for the last eighteen months.

No, but there's keeping an eye on someone as in is he looking like taking a job, would he be interested in this one, getting references off other people, learning more about the man. So more researching than actual watching is how I read it.

I don't think this appointment (if true) will be a knee jerk one. He's been on Villa's radar and is well known to Henrik and Wenger who both know Fox. Defo wasn't the man for late last season, could well be the man for this season though. Is he really anymore of a risk than Moyes? Sean Dyche, Pearson with all his PR baggage? I don't think so. Much is made of adapting to the EPL, I think it's more applicable to players personally, however guess we'll see.

Some of the stuff I've read on twitter today is borderline xenophobic. If he's good enough and has the quality he WILL work (as in keep us up) we're 4 points off safety with 28 games left. A long way to go. Some are acting like there's 10 games to go and we're 7/8 points adrift.

Now we've got rid of TS I'm confident we can pull this off and get safe. We will also see more money spent in Jan for certain. I also bet the coaches coming in will far exceed the capabilities of Wilkins and co who quite frankly we're utterly shit.
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:56 pm

Garde evidently has some good footballing ideas about taking football forward. I worry that our current situation is not right for experimentation. It can't be worse than it is now, but whoever comes in may only need to be more pragmatic and sensible than Sherwood in order to keep us up, if you look at the way the likes of Bournemouth and Norwich are starting to struggle.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:04 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:Garde evidently has some good footballing ideas about taking football forward. I worry that our current situation is not right for experimentation. It can't be worse than it is now, but whoever comes in may only need to be more pragmatic and sensible than Sherwood in order to keep us up, if you look at the way the likes of Bournemouth and Norwich are starting to struggle.

Exactly and hopefully Garde (if he's the man) can do that. If we have a short list, I'd want them to speak to all those on it, if it's just Garde having researched him, then go get him. Have a feeling he may be in place and watching v Saints
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:33 pm

Moyes is just three years older than Garde but has 14 years more managerial experience than Remi, 12 of those years spent in the Premier League. I wonder whether that vast experience would better fit him for the backs against the wall struggle that we currently face?

If we were mid table then I'd favour Garde, but in our current mess I can't see past Moye's enormous experience.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:49 pm

People point out that Moyes hasn't done well in his past two jobs but I think the sheer size of the task at United was outside his comfort zone. Van Gaal is meant to be one of the best coaches in the world but he hasn't really excelled at United in spite of being given a lorry load of cash. As for Spain, I can't say too much for how he's done there but he's managing in a foreign country, I'm not even sure he speaks the language so he's outside his comfort zone.

I think our club is in a delicate position. The stakes cannot be higher. There are huge sums at stake when it comes to staying in the league with the new TV deal and I think relegation might make it even more difficult for our incompetent owner to move the club on. Being in the championship, stuck with Lerner is not something anyone wants to contemplate. We have to get this appointment right.

If I was Lerner, with that in mind, I'd be thinking Moyes can stabilise us and give us two or three seasons of stability which would make the club an easier sell.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:53 pm

This probably mirrors my real life personality, I'd go for the risk and get Garde. Moyes is the safe option. I'm bored just thinking about him. Don't get me wrong, I totally get all the calls for him and why it makes sense. I'm seriously bored with my club and I want something different from what we've had. Add to this my concerns that Moyes is damaged goods and I'm firmly behind a fresh approach. If it costs us, I'll be the first to hold my hand up and say I was wrong. Moyes reminds me of Mclaren, been at the top and will never really recover. Shhhtevee did well at Derby, but buckled right at the end when they needed to keep going for promotion and is struggling at Newcastle. I see Moyes coming back and buckling under the pressure yet again.

I think he's had his day and he won't ever be as good as he was. All my opinion and based on nothing more than looking at other managers that have failed and then not really gone on to rebuild their career. Villa is not the place to rebuild your reputation. If he comes he'll get my backing. I never wanted him when he was at Everton and I sure don't want him now, but I'll support him and so should everyone else.
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:01 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:Moyes is just three years older than Garde but has 14 years more managerial experience than Remi, 12 of those years spent in the Premier League.

It shows too.

52yr old David Moyes:

49yr old Remi Garde:

Three years between them, but looks more like 15. The ravages of Premier League management?
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan on Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:04 pm

Another Scotsman (given our history with Scottish managers) or an unproven former Arsenal man.

I would still go for Moyes, but with our Arsenal dynasty in place at board level it will be Garde.
South London Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:23 pm

This is what you have to look at. It's horses for courses. Moyes comes in, Old fashioned british 'manager' wants control of everything and we're back to tearing up the project and starting AGAIN. A new squad, more transition. For the first time under RL we have a chance now to say. This is the system (we don't know how good or bad it is yet as it's new) this is how we want to do things, we want to drive recruitment as a club so when a manager leaves the players are not surplus to requirements. This is where we mostly are now. The board via Henrik and Reilly have got these targets in and now we need to get the best manager to get the BEST out of what we have. We can't scrap it again and again and again. This is why I want us to stick with this. We're forever in transition and that is as damaging as anything in the long run.

Swansea have been doing it for years, we have to hold our nerve, give a nod to the fact we're bottom (which we've done by sacking TS) now get the right man in to take THIS squad forward, yes let the new man with the support of OUR policy get a few more in come January, but essentially this is a project. There's the risk we go down, but that risk exists with any manager. Is Moyes going to suddenly adapt to our players and club any more quickly than Garde? (who seemingly knows one or two of the staff and players) The EPL experience is valid to a point, it's no guarantee though. Look at Jose struggling at Chelsea or the ex England manager at Newcastle or the countless other bosses (Lambert, Eck, Sherwood and many others for many more teams) that have failed even with EPL experience. I honestly think too much stock is put in it. If you're good enough (this is key) you can manage anywhere. We just have to hope Garde is good enough.
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by danclare82 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:28 pm

danclare82
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:32 pm

Duverne was a hit last time round: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1367156/French-fitness-coach-Robert-Duverne-centre-Aston-Villa-row.html but he might have an insight into any trouble making players who might still be around.

So if Garde becomes a non-starter who will we look at to fit the Almstadt/Fox strategy?
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum