Relegation?

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Relegation?

Post by avfcff1982 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:14 pm

I don't think any Villa fans have taken a serious view of what will happen to us when relegated.

The manager, Garde or whoever, will have a nightmare job on his hands, this lot we have now is not fit for that league, and a mass culling will be required.

Then, ultimately comes yet another rebuilding job, not a piece of cake for a newly relegated mess of a club, which many players will see as the Titanic of football.

Lerner will have no idea what to do about it, neither will money man Fox, who will be surprised that sponsors will jump ship like rats.

I could go on, but it's really way too depressing, just to sum up, I fear for our future with the fools who run our once great club, it's a shambles, and to think we will go straight back up is a joke, we'll be mid table Championship fodder, and might even struggle to stay in that league. Return to the PL will be a long long way off.

Bright Future my arse!
avfcff1982
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:33 pm

Fox thinks we're set up to bounce straight back. He says that he's got a firrst rate group of people running the club now.

If just one of them was actually an experienced football person they might be able to tell TF that he hasn't got a clue about what's coming in a few months time.

Crazy isn't it.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:00 pm

avfcff1982 wrote:Lerner will have no idea what to do about it, neither will money man Fox, who will be surprised that sponsors will jump ship like rats.

Aye, I remember that claim he made 'it's easy to look at the table... but we've improved the commercial deals' or whatever it was and it smacked of naivety. Last night one one of the other threads, Chris Harte put up a post explaining how much we'd lose in TV revenue. Add to that any commercial partners jumping ship or effecting clauses in their deals to pay us less, reduced ticket revenue and probably any number of factors I've neglected to mention. If he was worth his £1million per year salary he would be working around the clock on strategies to reduce the impact but everything I've seen about the man suggests that he's supremely naive and struggles to make a smart decision. Even if he is a gifted businessman there's no other field of business where you would end up in the position that half of your revenue would be wiped out over night (and lets not forget he's a big reason for that).

Leaving that aside, other clubs have managed to come straight back up. Both West Ham and Newcastle did it but they managed to hang onto their Premier League players along with some shrewd additions. In our cases you have to ask if a) our players would have that loyalty and b) whether we'd want to hold on to them.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:16 pm

Sandie wrote:
avfcff1982 wrote:Lerner will have no idea what to do about it, neither will money man Fox, who will be surprised that sponsors will jump ship like rats.

Aye, I remember that claim he made 'it's easy to look at the table... but we've improved the commercial deals' or whatever it was and it smacked of naivety. Last night one one of the other threads, Chris Harte put up a post explaining how much we'd lose in TV revenue. Add to that any commercial partners jumping ship or effecting clauses in their deals to pay us less, reduced ticket revenue and probably any number of factors I've neglected to mention. If he was worth his £1million per year salary he would be working around the clock on strategies to reduce the impact but everything I've seen about the man suggests that he's supremely naive and struggles to make a smart decision. Even if he is a gifted businessman there's no other field of business where you would end up in the position that half of your revenue would be wiped out over night (and lets not forget he's a big reason for that).

Leaving that aside, other clubs have managed to come straight back up. Both West Ham and Newcastle did it but they managed to hang onto their Premier League players along with some shrewd additions. In our cases you have to ask if a) our players would have that loyalty and b) whether we'd want to hold on to them.
Sam Allardyce and Chris Hughton were the respective managers, and they both had good in depth experience of the environment they were managing in.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:05 pm

http://www.whoscored.com/Articles/YVGRvb9N006sh1C3bDDZ8A/Show/?

I've just posted a comment in the match thread about what a win tonight and again at the weekend might mean. This article is a far more considered appraisal of our chances of survival. It confirms why we're in dire straits, and the changes needed to begin to rectify the situation.

It doesn't look encouraging.

villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:36 pm

I was just sat here thinking that this summer is going to be unlike any summer that most of our Villa fans have seen. It's only old fellas like me that will have been through the shock and pain of relegation, and the numbness that follows.

Maybe we should set up a number of different events, where Villa fans can get together and laugh and joke the whole relegation thing away?

No long faces this summer!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:12 pm

One thing that counts in our favour is that we will have had months to get used to the idea of spending time in the Championship. We won't have the short sharp shock of being relegated on goal difference in the last game. I think already we are reduced to gallows humour about things now.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:35 pm

This two week break is the worst possible timing for Randy and his marketing minions. I wonder how many Villa fans are breathing a sigh of relief today.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:25 pm

It could be argued that Lerner and Fox will be the ones breathing a sigh of relief. Anger and frustration amongst our support is at its peak and if we had another game on a quick turnaround that ended in disappointment the mounting anti-Lerner sentiment could have boiled over. As it is, everyone has over a fortnight after the Liverpool game to cool down before the next home game a week on Tuesday.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:19 pm

If we lose against Stoke which seems likely, then how many supporters are going to turn out on a cold Tuesday night to watch us lose again against Everton? This two week break has got us all used to the idea that we're finished after such an appalling loss due to lack of effort against Liverpool. I think anger may turn to apathy, and apathy is a club's worse nightmare.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:49 pm

As their key interest will be the balance sheet, apathy could prove more hurtful to them than outright anger but I think just under 2/3s of our attendance works out as season ticket holders who have already paid up for the season. If they don't turn out it only costs them the cost of a program and a balti pie. The true cost of apathy won't be calculated until next season when these long suffering fans have to renew their season tickets for next season in the second tier.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:09 pm

Sandie wrote:As their key interest will be the balance sheet, apathy could prove more hurtful to them than outright anger but I think just under 2/3s of our attendance works out as season ticket holders who have already paid up for the season. If they don't turn out it only costs them the cost of a program and a balti pie. The true cost of apathy won't be calculated until next season when these long suffering fans have to renew their season tickets for next season in the second tier.
That's a good point.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:59 pm

I think I could quite enjoy the Championship, sadly I am in the minority and even to me it will quickly lose it's novelty if we are not a substantially improved side.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:37 pm

Sandie wrote:I think I could quite enjoy the Championship, sadly I am in the minority and even to me it will quickly lose it's novelty if we are not a substantially improved side.
I wonder how we're going to deal with being an irrelevant side? I suppose we could argue that we have been for the last five years, but to finally be removed from any national relevance is going to take some adjusting to.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:27 pm

Precisely. We have been irrelevant for the past five years. I'm not sure being in the Championship will make that any worse. Ironically, this shitty season has given us more media attention than we've had at any point in the past five years.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: