Relegation?

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Relegation?

Post by Sandie on Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:55 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:It's because of a lack of a cohesive buying plan that we've ended up with two totally different "half teams", and looking at it right now, the jigsaw cannot be fitted together.

Which brings us to another point. People (including me on the other thread!) are bigging up the January window as a critical point that gives us the last chance of improving the side before the end of the season but no one seems to be considering the flaws of our supposed recruiting policy when they raise that point. What type of players do we need and what type of players will we get?
Sandie

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:07 pm

Sandie wrote:
villabromsgrove wrote:It's because of a lack of a cohesive buying plan that we've ended up with two totally different "half teams", and looking at it right now, the jigsaw cannot be fitted together.

Which brings us to another point. People (including me on the other thread!) are bigging up the January window as a critical point that gives us the last chance of improving the side before the end of the season but no one seems to be considering the flaws of our supposed recruiting policy when they raise that point. What type of players do we need and what type of players will we get?
Unless the players are identified and scouted by the manager, they will be the wrong players. There is no margin for error, they have to be a perfect fit with good experience and winning mentalities.

It's not going to happen is it?
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morddred on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:24 pm

What on earth makes you think that this owner is suddenly going to start making sensible decisions?
Morddred
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:42 pm

You would have hoped there was some kind of learning effect for Lerner but this club has been sinking deeper and deeper into a hole for the past five years and at no point in that time has he suddenly started making good decisions.

If this club is to survive I'd not be surprised if it will be in spite of and not because of the owner.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:53 pm

I think Lerner still believes in 'magic beans' and Fox is still trying to put together the 'Villa Story' for marketing purposes. This leaves Reilly and Almstadt free to play 'football manager 2015' to decide the future of AVFC.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:38 pm

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-comment-its-nearing-10556182?

This article could have been lifted from the discussion on here (other football) last night. It needs to be said, and it needs to be taken onboard.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Natterjack on Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:30 pm

We need to. It's time to attack.

We've needed to at least try setting up positively for some time now. Look at Leicester last season.. down and buried, so what did they do? They went all out for 3 points in every match, and attacked from the first minute.. conceded, but outscored (seemingly without enough recognised goal scorers to do it)-  but they did what they could- they reintroduced Mahrez to play full games and added Albrighton for the extra service instead of being scared these players would mean they'd concede more and get thrashed.

They put together an incredible run to ensure the club's safety, and although they've changed their manager, they've taken almost the exact same positive approach into this season.. they mentally defeat the opposition in the first 15 minutes by pinning them back, and never stop attacking (even when the team is back defending, they've got the pace in players like Vardy, Mahrez and Albrighton to counter attack at any moment).

What can we do? Give Traore a starting slot on the right side, and play him for 90 mins.. see what he can do.. he'll pin defenders back, if nothing else. He's got the same goal/assist potential as Mahrez- Pearson was scared to play Mahrez for the majority of last season, just like we're now scared to give our fastest, most attacking minded and most exciting midfielder a go.

Who's to even say Gestede can't get the numbers of goals Vardy has this season? Gestede hasn't played with a single winger who can cross a ball this season- we're really only going to get quality crosses from the wing if we've either got Gil or Traore as supply from the sides. Gestede hasn't been on the pitch when either one of these has been right or left midfield this season [Mind blowing].. so now we're all questioning how Gestede scored so many in the Championship last year. Why is Vardy scoring so many this year? It's the same answer- the right service.

To achieve this we have to sacrifice the Sanchez/Westwood holding midfield role and give it to an extra attacking minded midfielder (give it to either Traore or Gil on the right side of midfield). Veretout and Gueye proved they can cover the whole of the centre of the field yesterday without an issue. Sanchez made the mistake that gave Southampton their goal- yet again we suffer because of one of our weak links. The holding midfield role behind two centre midfielders hasn't been justified once this season, yet we stick with it.[?]

Whatever opinion we have: it's unforgivable to go through this many games without a single win, not to TRY attacking.

Even though we were 1-0 up completely against the run of play in the first half yesterday, we had a chance to go on to win the game, but opted for the defensive option (Westwood on for Gestede) when we had three attacking options on the bench in Traore, Gabby and Gil, to go for the it (at a rare time when Southampton looked low on confidence). That was our chance to get 3 points but we went for 1.. with Bournemouth's win (they attacked Chelsea for 90 minutes yesterday), we're now even further from safety. The teams just above us can all get surprise wins, maybe 1 in every 4.. draws just wont do it for us.

That being said, positives to take from yesterday:
-Okore back (extra speed and strength at key moments)
-Gueye putting in a good shift (looks fully fit)
-Veretout's delivery
-Bacuna (kept up with Mane's pace and looked like a much better defender than Richardson)
-Lescott's willingness to get the goal (a few more goals from Lescott and Richards throughout the season just might be the difference between the Championship and the Premier League next year).
Mr Natterjack
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:51 pm

Good post.

This should be a rallying call to Villa. Leicester were dead and buried , until they grew some balls and attacked instead of trying to hang on. They're still doing this, and if they stop they'll slip back among the dead men.

The sheer obviousness of what you say about the teams above us being capable of a win about every four games means keeping it tight and hoping for a draw is not an option. Attack is the only answer. We just about have the players to do this, we need Remi Garde to do the maths and set the team up to give us a chance of winning matches.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:53 pm

Very good post, Mr Natterjack.

I agree that we need to start taking risks. The time where we have nothing to lose is fast approaching. I can totally understand why Adama isn't getting more game time (he gives the ball away and is raw) but I also would like to see him play. He'll give us a bit of unpredictability, he'd hassle and harry opposition defenders and with that in mind he should be getting a role as at least an impact player. I was also disappointed to see Gil not playing yesterday, he's probably our best link to our attack.

You mention unexpected wins and as I type Newcastle are beating Liverpool 2-0. We only seem capable of nicking a draw and are miles off the pace.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:05 pm

Sandie wrote:Very good post, Mr Natterjack.

I agree that we need to start taking risks. The time where we have nothing to lose is fast approaching. I can totally understand why Adama isn't getting more game time (he gives the ball away and is raw) but I also would like to see him play. He'll give us a bit of unpredictability, he'd hassle and harry opposition defenders and with that in mind he should be getting a role as at least an impact player. I was also disappointed to see Gil not playing yesterday, he's probably our best link to our attack.

You mention unexpected wins and as I type Newcastle are beating Liverpool 2-0. We only seem capable of nicking a draw and are miles off the pace.
It must be down to attitude and the way we approach games .... it has to change.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:17 am

Randy says to Tom "it's a good thing Villa are in the NFL because there's no relegation!"

Tom says to Randy "I think you'll find we may be in the EPL, but I'll check that out with Hendrik to be sure!"

Hendrik says to Tom "We're in the European Union as far as I know, so I think that means we're alright!"

Reilly says "wibble!"
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:59 pm

HaHa! Laughing
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:32 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jamie-spencer/aston-villa_b_8756922.html

Not sure I agree with the article, it's somewhat harsh on a couple of the players but I do agree that the recruitment policy we had was a bit of a gamble for a club in our position as long standing relegation battlers. Good players who would have been great for a stable club but not necessarily us.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:06 pm

Relegation cannot be avoided in December 2015 by appointing a Chairman and new board member.

It is purely and simply about the players we put on the pitch. If I go and watch a game featuring Leicester, Southampton, Stoke etc. I will see better (and more expensive) players than Villa current have in our first team.

It really is that simple. The clubs that I've mentioned have been prepared to pay ten million plus for some of their players and that allows the other less expensive players to develop and thrive knowing that others have 'got their backs'.

It's almost certainly too late now, but Lerner should at least be prepared this January to try and buy his way out of the ruinous trouble that he's brought upon our once great club.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:22 pm

Another forum is discussing the rumoured new kit producer. I don't see the point about an animated discussion over branding kudos for next season.

Fruit of the Loom should get the job done for the second division!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum