A Change In Formation?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Change In Formation?

Post by Sandie on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:42 pm

Mail and other outlets are reporting that Sherwood is considering a move to a back three in the near future:

“Joleon allows us an option to play three at the back,” said the manager.

“He’s done it before with Micah Richards and Vincent Kompany at Manchester City so he knows what it’s all about.

“Now we’ve got the opportunity to play a different style.”

“We’ve not had an opportunity to work on it yet because Clarky’s been away and so has Carlos Sanchez and Okore’s not fit so it’s been difficult,” said Sherwood.

“But it’s certainly something I will be working on.”

Might be one of those occasions (all too regular these days!) of news outlets trying to make a story out of a couple of quotes in a press conference but what will it mean in practice? We'd probably line up with something like:

Guzan

Richards   Lescott   Clark  

Bacuna   Sanchez   Gana   Veretout  Amavi

Gestede    Sinclair

I think a wingback system has a couple of benefits for us. Firstly, I think Bacuna and Amavi would be well suited to this system as they both like to get forward and this will enable them to do that more often and cater for their defensive frailties. Secondly, it suits us as we have a lot of centre halves at the club and will allow them more opportunity to play. It will also allow Ilori to get blooded at centre half at some point with less pressure on him. Now to the reasons I am not so keen on this idea. I see Grealish and Traore as our most exciting players and I want to see them out on the pitch, not on the bench as they would be if we played a wingback system. I also think it could become a VERY stifling system. Not many of us on here are keen on the way Sherwood has deployed three defensive central midfielders in most league games this season and whilst I've put Veretout in the example team it could just as easily be Westwood. So we'd be without a couple of our more exciting attacking players, we'd not really have much creativity outside of a couple of wingbacks (who will have defensive as well as creative responsibilities). That said, it's an option and options are good.

What are CABA's thoughts on this? Are we likely to see this kind of set up in the league? Will it work?
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Change In Formation?

Post by villabromsgrove on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:55 pm

TS plays mind games. In the last 48 hours he's mentioned trying to get three players back for Sunday, Ilori playing in any one of 5 positions, Lescott being ready to play and Gabby being key to these local derbies including Leicester, WBA and Blues.

The tinkerman's head will be spinning!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:59 pm

The Mail must love him as he generates so many stories for them with everything he comes out with. Not sure that it's a good or a bad thing that you never know what exactly is real or what is spin. All part of the Sherwood fun!
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:04 pm

Sandie wrote:The Mail must love him as he generates so many stories for them with everything he comes out with. Not sure that it's a good or a bad thing that you never know what exactly is real or what is spin. All part of the Sherwood fun!
I love the guy for 166.5 hours a week, it's the 1.5 hours on match day that make me nervous.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:26 pm

I think if we do play at the back (which I think we may see it when away) then I don't think it will mean two up front.

I think we'd see 3-4-2-1 so something like this

Guzan

Richards Lescott Clark

Ilori/Bacuna Gana Veretout Amavi

Gil Grealish

Sinclair

So still a front three of sorts and more width. I also think it would probably mean either Sanchez or Westwood starting. I'd personally have neither and go with my formation if we were to play three. TS seems to have a fixation with both Sanchez and Westwood playing. I hope it's whilst Veretout gets upto speed as he offers something different to all the other midfielders we have. He can be a true box to box midfielder, unlike any of the others.

I'm still hurting over the weekend and I want to see something different already. I'd drop Guzan. I'd get Gana and Veretout in and I'd stick with 4 at the back and try Ilori to bed in at RB. We need to sort this back out and build from there.

TS will either sink or swim by his ability (or not) to find a balance between 'gun ho' and when to stick and have discipline, we need to be able to rely on the keeper and defence be it 3 CB's or 2. Annoyed the hell out of me that Nathan Dyer Beat Guzan to the ball. A clanger worthy of being dropped for me.

I'm waffling. What do you guys think?

GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:44 pm

The problem with dropping Guzan is that our only alternative is Bunn who seems to share many of his faults as a keeper.

This will be controversial but if we were looking to drop Guzan the mistake we made was sending Steer out on loan. He didn't look that bad against Burnley at the tale end of last season at a time that both Given and Guzan had lost some credibility with high profile errors. I'd feel more confident with him as a possible number two coming in than Bunn who is a career second choice keeper. He's young and inexperienced and has probably only gone out on loan for first team experience but he has the look of a decent keeper.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum