Where are they now?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Where are they now?

Post by Sandie on Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:03 pm

Did anyone see the Brum Mail's piece on 'The Yugoslavian George Best'?

Curcic coaching kids for a fiver a day

Former Aston Villa star Sasa Curcic has gone from riches to rags – and is now coaching kids for a fiver a day, writes Steve Goodman in the Sunday People .

Curcic, who also played for Bolton, Crystal Palace and Motherwell earned millions from his professional football career.

The madcap midfielder, who was capped 14 times for Yugoslavia between 1991 and 1998, later confessed to drug addiction and boasted about his sexual prowess.

He won Serbia’s Celebrity Big Brother contest in 2007 and figured in several more reality shows.

But now hard-up Curcic has begun touting his ‘Sasa Curcic Football Academy’ by shoving flyers through letterboxes in London.

The 43-year-old Serb dubs himself the “Yugoslavian George Best” and begs for kids to call him “any time – seven days a week” on two mobile phone numbers about his courses at a sports club in Acton.

Curcic says in the flyer: “You are invited to train and play with ex-Premiership top player nicknamed the Yugoslavian George Best – well known for his skills and techniques! All ages are welcome! First step, right step!

“Four training sessions plus one co-ordination session a week. Monthly membership £100.”

That works out at just £5 each for 20 sessions a month.

Curcic also insists that his is the “fastest growing football academy in London”.

Bolton signed Curcic from Partizan Belgrade for a then-club record fee of £1.5million in 1995 and after a successful season in which he scored seven times and became a favourite with the fans he made a £4m move to Aston Villa the following year.

But he struggled to impress at Villa Park and Palace paid £1m for him in 1998.

After a spell with US outfit MetroStars, he had a brief stint with Motherwell before giving up playing aged just 29.

It's a bit sensationalised, 'OMG he's doing it for a fiver a day, when he probably teaches loads of kids in each session' but I found it interesting nonetheless. He's always been daft as a brush and has got around since giving up playing.

Anybody else have any where are they now stories?
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Where are they now?

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:10 pm

A number of ex players are used as club ambassadors in hospitality on a very regular basis. It's good that they're still involved, but it made me think that we do live in the past as a football club. Wouldn't it be good to have current players involved as well, who perhaps through injury would be available to give those in Villa lounges a buzz about AVFC now.

I'll give you a strange example, Charlie Aitken sit's at the next table to the one which one of my sons uses fairly regularly as a company thing. When I went with my son, I was in awe of the great man sat five feet away from me and talking non stop. I saw Charlie Aitken, Gary Shaw, Alan Evans and Colin Gibson and that was great, but my son said that bumping into Charles N'zogbia on the stairs was the biggest thrill!  Explain that to me?
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:04 pm

Interesting Mail piece on Stefan Moore

It was thirteen years ago to the day that Stefan Moore scored on his Premier League debut for Aston Villa in a 2-1 win over Charlton.

Since then the likeable 31-year-old has dropped out of professional football, experienced eight different divisions and set up and sold a successful taxi firm that used to pay the bills.

When he looks back on a career that once showed so much promise, Moore, who’s brother Luke is now at MLS outfit Toronto, admits that he could have made more of an impact during his younger years.

Those days at Villa Park were ‘great times’ but the forward seems just as happy now.

He’s banging in the goals for Conference North leaders Solihull Moors and living each day with a smile on his face.

“It’s crazy how time flies,” he said.

“I’ve been out of the full-time game since 2006 and it’s mad to think how quick it has gone.

“I supported Villa when I joined. I’d been there for 12 years, since I was nine. I spent a lot of time there.

“There are things I would have done different, of course.

“But dropping out of full-time football was the best thing for me at the time.

“There’s a lot more to life.”

Moore added:

“It’s all fun and games when you’re in the Premier League but when you’re at Kidderminster it’s a lot different.

“I had chances to go back in (to the professional game) after Halesowen but it just didn’t happen for whatever reason.

“After that I knew that was it and there would be no going back and I focused on other things.

“I enjoy it more now. It’s slightly different, you’re not here full-time, but that works well for me. I enjoy it.”

Moore has had spells at Leamington and Brackley Town amongst others but is really enjoying his time at the Autotech Stadium.

He met Moors manager Marcus Bignot during his time at QPR and has been in touch with him ever since.

“I’ve been here for a year now almost.

“The gaffer is good and we’ve recruited some good players.

“I like playing under him because he’s really thorough in what he does.

“As a player you go out knowing exactly what you’ve got to do and what your mate has got to do. That’s important.”

Moore no longer runs his taxi business but is getting by with his football.

“I sold my cab firm.

“When I dropped out of full-time I got involved in that with a friend and just went on from there.

“We had four good years but I’m no longer involved in that.

“I’m just doing football at the moment.

“It’s been great.”
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bald Eagle on Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:53 am

Nice to read that piece about Stefan Moore. I've seen him play a few times for Moors and they have made a great start to this season.
The Bald Eagle
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:27 pm

Olof Mellberg has been appointed manager of IF Brommapojkarna (I had to copy and paste to involve misspellings) in the Swedish third division.

Will be interesting to see how his management career progresses.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:42 pm

Sandie wrote:Olof Mellberg has been appointed manager of IF Brommapojkarna (I had to copy and paste to involve misspellings) in the Swedish third division.

Will be interesting to see how his management career progresses.
I was surprised to read the other day that he's still only 38. He left us too soon! Good luck Olof.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:55 pm

Anybody wondering what happened to Agent Ridgewell?
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:07 pm

Sandie wrote:Anybody wondering what happened to Agent Ridgewell?
If Ridgewell had another couple of yards of pace he would have been a Villa icon.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:39 pm

I never rated him, maybe it was his pace costing him but he always seemed to make to many unforced errors.

In other ex-player news, Vlaar has finally got a new club. He's gone to AZ Alkmaar. Shame he started to believe his own hype after the World Cup.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:15 pm

Sandie wrote:I never rated him, maybe it was his pace costing him but he always seemed to make to many unforced errors.

In other ex-player news, Vlaar has finally got a new club. He's gone to AZ Alkmaar. Shame he started to believe his own hype after the World Cup.
I watched Ridgewell come through as a youngster and he was always going to be a captain. He captained the reserves, and was truly excellent. His lack of pace was glaringly obvious, and it meant when he made a mistake he couldn't recover from it. I loved his leadership, effort and sheer guts though.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum