Villa Squad Comparison

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Villa Squad Comparison

Post by Jim Villan on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:41 pm

Bit of fun,

As we have so many new players and this summer has been a bit disorientating with squad comings and goings, I thought it would be interesting to Rate our squad (as objectively as possible) against Swansea as seem a decent mid term benchmark as they are fast being a very impressive Premier league outfit. I have trimmed down both squads to 19 players, to get a relevant like for like, using players who get the most game time from both sides. I have rated the players from 1 -5, 5 being Top quality, 1 being Tonev!!

In my scoring I had Swansea come out at a total of 69.5 points in comparison to villa 66.........  meaning that if we have a successful days of the transfer window by bringing two quality players that we would have a squad on paper more or less as good as swansea's. Have a go at doing it yourself i would be interested to see how everybody else's scores come out.

Swansea
Goalkeepers
      Fabianski 3.5                

Defenders
Naughton 3
Williams 5
Taylor 4
Fernández 3
Rangel 3
Amat         2
Tabanou 2

Midfielders
Ayew 5
Sigurdsson 5
Shelvey 4.5
Montero 4.5
Cork 3
Routledge 3
Ki Sung-yueng 4.5
Dyer 4
Britton 3

Forwards
Gomis  4.5
Eder 3

THE VILLA
       Goalkeepers
       Guzan 3.5

Defenders
       Amavi 5
Richards 4
Bacuna 3
Clark        2
Hutton 3
Okore 3.5
Crespo 2
Bennett 2

Midfielders
       Sinclair 4.0
Westwood 3
Sánchez 3
Gueye 4.5
Veretout 3.5
Traoré 5
Grealish 4.5
Carles Gil 4.0

Forwards
Gestede 3.5
Agbonlahor 3

points 66
Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Villa Squad Comparison

Post by Obnoxious Lion on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:59 pm

Nice post and interesting idea ( will add my opinion when i've a bit more time ) but Gabby 3? or was that a typo
Obnoxious Lion
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:16 pm

Jim I'm working on mine. To be submitted tomorrow. An interesting and well thought out thread. Cheers
GadgetMan
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:28 pm

Thought provoking post JV. I notice that none of their defensive midfielders play at the moment. Apart from a good organised back four the rest of the team are all attack minded.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:23 am

One area that Swansea are particulary strong, is their high quality midfield, players that can all contribute goals which is an area that we are hoping that we will be stronger in this year. Swansea's midfield (as listed) contributed 28 goals last season, whereby Villa's in comparison contributed 3. How many goals can you see our midfield contributing this season.

Sinclair 8
Traore 7
Gil 3 think he could get more but not convinced how much gametime he'll get
Gueye 4
Westward 1
vertout 2
grealish 3

this would give us 28 goals from the midfield.
Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:29 am

VB what are you are saying about us fielding too many defensive midfielders is very true. In modern day football you need as many scoring midfielders on the pitch as possible, and certainly playing 3 relatively defensive/Holding central midfielders (gueye,westward,sanchez)needs to stop imo.
Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Natterjack on Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:05 pm

First time poster! (Apologies for the essay!)

I agree with what's being said re. 3 defensive midfielders and here's why:

Let's look at the general starting lineups of the teams currently at the top of the league.. try and find a midfield with more than one defensive postion:

1. Man City: Navas, Toure, Silva, Fernandinho, Sterling (1 half defensive mid, 4 attacking mids)

2. Crystal Palace: Zaha, McArthur, Puncheon, Cabaye, Sako (1 half defensive mid, 4 attacking mids)

3. Leicester: Mahrez, King, Drinkwater, Albrighton (1 defensive mid, 3 attacking mids)

4. Swansea: Ayew, Ki, Sigurdsson, Shelvey, Montero (1 half defensive mid, 4 attacking mids)

5. Man Utd: Mata, Schweinsteiger, Januzaj, Schneiderlin, Depay (1 defensive mid, 4 attacking mids)

6. Arsenal: Ramsey, Coquelin, Cazorla, Ozil, Sanchez (1 defensive mid, 4 attacking mids)

See the pattern?.. It's the winning model.

Villa vs Sunderland: Bacuna, Westwood, Sanchez, Gana, Sinclair (a kind of right back, 3 defensive mids and 1 attacking mid = a defensive and ineffective mess!)

This kind of set up (3 defensive midfielders in the centre) is the complete reverse of what the successful premier league teams are doing right now. Yes, we had injuries to a couple of key attacking midfielders in Grealish and Adama Traore, but we could have opted for Gil to start either on the right or in the number 10 role and we could'v also given Ayew a game to maintain the attacking numbers on the pitch. Instead we decided to play only 2 players on the pitch with any scoring record (Sinclair and Gestede).

By playing Westwood and Sanchez we're accepting that we'll have two positions on the pitch which will hardly see a single goal or assist over an entire season.. we already have Gana to do that job and so far he looks more than capable of being the defensive midfielder who can drive the ball forward when needed.

We contain too much against even the weakest teams and by doing this we're never playing our own attacking game. The best method of protecting the defence isn't to have 3 defensive midfielders, it's to attack.. look at Swansea and Crystal Palace.. they have 4 midfielders looking to roam forward when they're in possession which should make them vulnerable to conceding goals.. yet their defensive records aren't weak - it's because they are on the front foot, they take the game to the opposition and aren't pinned back for most of the game. (Crystal Palace took the game to Chelsea at the weekend and won. Swansea took the game to Man U and won).

The way I see it we need to replicate what the best teams are doing in the league.. and where better to start than the top team at the moment, Man City- when our squad is fully fit, and hopefully with the late addition of Lescott, we have the players in the positions to almost exactly mirror the kind of set up they're currently using… here's a like-for-like example:

Hart
Guzan

Sagna, Kompany, Mangala, Kolarov
Bacuna, Richards, Lescott, Amavi

Navas, Toure, Silva, Fernandinho, Sterling
Adama, Veretout, Grealish, Gana, Sinclair

Aguero
Gestede/Austin*

*Wishful thinking.. Lerner would have to spend his own/TV money.

Impact subs: Gil, Ayew, Gabby.

With this kind of lineup we'd be able to take the game to any team, we might lose a few but we'd win far more than we've had the chance to so far this season.. strong centre backs, full backs who can roam forward and get back, every single one of our midfielders would be able to contribute goals and assists and the striker would receive constant service.. we'd be feared and we'd also gain respect from other fans.. we'd be exciting to watch and Villa would actually have an identity for the first time since the MON days.

UTV.
Mr Natterjack
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:17 pm

Mr Natterjack wrote:First time poster! (Apologies for the essay!)

I agree with what's being said re. 3 defensive midfielders and here's why:

Let's look at the general starting lineups of the teams currently at the top of the league.. try and find a midfield with more than one defensive postion:

1. Man City: Navas, Toure, Silva, Fernandinho, Sterling (1 half defensive mid, 4 attacking mids)

2. Crystal Palace: Zaha, McArthur, Puncheon, Cabaye, Sako (1 half defensive mid, 4 attacking mids)

3. Leicester: Mahrez, King, Drinkwater, Albrighton (1 defensive mid, 3 attacking mids)

4. Swansea: Ayew, Ki, Sigurdsson, Shelvey, Montero (1 half defensive mid, 4 attacking mids)

5. Man Utd: Mata, Schweinsteiger, Januzaj, Schneiderlin, Depay (1 defensive mid, 4 attacking mids)

6. Arsenal: Ramsey, Coquelin, Cazorla, Ozil, Sanchez (1 defensive mid, 4 attacking mids)

See the pattern?.. It's the winning model.

Villa vs Sunderland: Bacuna, Westwood, Sanchez, Gana, Sinclair (a kind of right back, 3 defensive mids and 1 attacking mid = a defensive and ineffective mess!)

This kind of set up (3 defensive midfielders in the centre) is the complete reverse of what the successful premier league teams are doing right now. Yes, we had injuries to a couple of key attacking midfielders in Grealish and Adama Traore, but we could have opted for Gil to start either on the right or in the number 10 role and we could'v also given Ayew a game to maintain the attacking numbers on the pitch. Instead we decided to play only 2 players on the pitch with any scoring record (Sinclair and Gestede).

By playing Westwood and Sanchez we're accepting that we'll have two positions on the pitch which will hardly see a single goal or assist over an entire season.. we already have Gana to do that job and so far he looks more than capable of being the defensive midfielder who can drive the ball forward when needed.

We contain too much against even the weakest teams and by doing this we're never playing our own attacking game. The best method of protecting the defence isn't to have 3 defensive midfielders, it's to attack.. look at Swansea and Crystal Palace.. they have 4 midfielders looking to roam forward when they're in possession which should make them vulnerable to conceding goals.. yet their defensive records aren't weak - it's because they are on the front foot, they take the game to the opposition and aren't pinned back for most of the game. (Crystal Palace took the game to Chelsea at the weekend and won. Swansea took the game to Man U and won).

The way I see it we need to replicate what the best teams are doing in the league.. and where better to start than the top team at the moment, Man City- when our squad is fully fit, and hopefully with the late addition of Lescott, we have the players in the positions to almost exactly mirror the kind of set up they're currently using… here's a like-for-like example:

Hart
Guzan

Sagna, Kompany, Mangala, Kolarov
Bacuna, Richards, Lescott, Amavi

Navas, Toure, Silva, Fernandinho, Sterling
Adama, Veretout, Grealish, Gana, Sinclair

Aguero
Gestede/Austin*

*Wishful thinking.. Lerner would have to spend his own/TV money.

Impact subs: Gil, Ayew, Gabby.

With this kind of lineup we'd be able to take the game to any team, we might lose a few but we'd win far more than we've had the chance to so far this season.. strong centre backs, full backs who can roam forward and get back, every single one of our midfielders would be able to contribute goals and assists and the striker would receive constant service.. we'd be feared and we'd also gain respect from other fans.. we'd be exciting to watch and Villa would actually have an identity for the first time since the MON days.

UTV.

Great first post and a big welcome to the forum MrNatterjack, brilliantly summarised. Can you fax that over to Tim straightaway (wait the fax machine is needed ha) I want to see that line up asap!!
GadgetMan
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan on Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:43 pm

Spot on, the potential team you've outlined on an individual player attribute level, does share a likeness with Cities, especially if it had Austin in the Aguero role. Time for Tim to be brave, just hoping the shackles will come off in the coming games .......fingers crossed.
Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:52 pm

Jim Villan wrote:Spot on, the potential team you've outlined on an individual player attribute level, does share a likeness with Cities,  especially if it had Austin in the Aguero role. Time for Tim to be brave, just hoping the shackles will come off in the coming games .......fingers crossed.
When the transfer window closes Tim will know exactly what he's got to work with until January at least. As you say JV, it's time for Sherwood to be brave and play our best attacking formation, rather than planning to keep other teams quiet.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:18 pm

Some superb analysis here. I think a lack of goals from midfield has been a long standing issue for us, regardless of personnel. I don't see a 20 goal a season player in the squad. I don't even see a 15 goal player. Unless we spring a surprise and get Charlie Austin in I don't think that's going to change. As such, there's a need for us to spread the goals around a lot more rather than relying on one striker, a strike partnership or a triumvirate.
Sandie

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:25 pm

Not exactly the subject off this thread but this is on a similar theme and might be of some interest: http://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-squads-a-statistical-breakdown

Our squad is 8th youngest, has the 9th highest proportion of foreign players and the 9th highest number of total premiership appearances. In the middle in all of those regards.
Sandie

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum