Our Best Starting 11

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Our Best Starting 11

Post by Jim Villan on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:54 am

So after 3 games in we are starting to learn about our players an how they will fit in. What does everybody see as our best starting 11. Probably find all our views are very different still which is definitely Tim Sherwoods conundrum. I feel 3 of our current nailed on first teamers , shouldnt be in the starting 11 which is causing us issues.

heres my preferred starting 11 when all fit.

Guzan

Okore                                Richards                           Baker  (Lescott....)                  Amavi        

Traore                                          Gueye             Vertout                             Grealish                     

Ayew (Jay rodriguez type....)         Guestede
Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Our Best Starting 11

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:50 am

I like your team although I'd say that Bacuna deserves his place and Clark/Baker are similar and perhaps interchangeable players.

I made the point some time ago on another forum about using Okore as RB so that we could play with three centre backs and Amavi marauding forward on the left. With Adama looking like such a potent treat on the right it could work well.

It's good that your team doesn't have three defensive midfielders which is a formation that has killed our mobility for so long.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:13 am

Mine would be...

Guzan

Hutton
Richards
Clark
Amavi

Gana
Veretout/Gil
Westwood

Traore
Gestade
Grealish

Harsh on Bacuna but I don't see right back as his strongest position and I think we might run into problems playing two attacking fullbacks so Hutton gets the nod, for me. The choice of Veretout or Gil depends on the opposition. I see Veretout as a creative type so hopefully having means a midfield three including him won't stifle us in the same way as it would with the three that played on Saturday which was too defensive for me. It's a tough call between Gueye and Sanchez who are such similar players. The bit that's toughest to pick is the front three. There's a lot of competition for those places and a few players who might end up being unhappy as they can't get as much football as they like. Both Adama and Jack are talented but raw, think both Ayew and Sinclair can easily do us a job there too.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:40 am

With what we currently have I'd play 4-2-3-1 (to play to their strengths hopefully)

Guzan

Hutton Richards Clark Amavi

Westwood Gueye

Traore Gil. Grealish

Gestede

In reality both Grealish and Traore may not start each match. I wouldn't want to see Bacuna and Traore on the right together either.

Ideally we need another forward as Gestede needs to be allowed time and seems like he would struggle as a lone forward. Adebayor however would thrive in that role and love the interplay with Traore, Gil and Grealish.
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimbo on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:06 pm

We definitely need another forward. I've been saying for ages I wanted us to sign Rudy and I was very happy when we did, but even so, I see him as an option, not the main man.
Kimbo
Private
Private

View user profile http://www.basementnoise.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:14 pm

Kimbo wrote:We definitely need another forward. I've been saying for ages I wanted us to sign Rudy and I was very happy when we did, but even so, I see him as an option, not the main man.
It should be a simple conversation involving Sherwood, Fox and Lerner. "We need a 14/15 million striker to ensure that we receive 100 million pounds plus next season". Other more ordinary teams have done exactly that because it's so bl*ody obvious!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimbo on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:18 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:
Kimbo wrote:We definitely need another forward. I've been saying for ages I wanted us to sign Rudy and I was very happy when we did, but even so, I see him as an option, not the main man.
It should be a simple conversation involving Sherwood, Fox and Lerner. "We need a 14/15 million striker to ensure that we receive 100 million pounds plus next season". Other more ordinary teams have done exactly that because it's so bl*ody obvious!

Pretty much, aye.

Also, when Okore is fit, I'd rather see Richards at RB. I doubt it will happen but that doesn't make me want to see it any less!

I think I might revisit the whole thing in early Sept when my best XI will hopefully be better than my current best XI Smile
Kimbo
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:23 pm

I agree with you about Richards at right back, playing behind Adama would be a real result. I also agree that it's not going to happen. Sherwood and Richards have both painted themselves into a corner with their statements, and I can't see them walking on the wet paint to put things right.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimbo on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:25 pm

At the minute I can put up with it, because with Okore out, it's probably the right thing to do. But once Okore is back and/or we get a new centre back, then it will become far, far less palatable.
Kimbo
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:35 pm

It's a funny one, I always thought that when Richards started to lose his way as a player at Man City was when he decided he wanted to be a centre half and bulked up a bit. Always thought that he was a fantastic right back as evinced by his England caps but was merely a so-so centre half. Still, it seems that was what he wanted to do and he hasn't really let us down as a centre half yet so I'm not going to knock him too much for that.

Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:54 pm

Sandie wrote:It's a funny one, I always thought that when Richards started to lose his way as a player at Man City was when he decided he wanted to be a centre half and bulked up a bit. Always thought that he was a fantastic right back as evinced by his England caps but was merely a so-so centre half. Still, it seems that was what he wanted to do and he hasn't really let us down as a centre half yet so I'm not going to knock him too much for that.

The problem is that if Richards continues to be our first choice centre back, he's too similar to our other CB's in the way he plays. We don't have a first choice CB who's prepared to sit back and organise the defensive positioning.

Richards and Clark both like to attack the ball which leaves us with dangerously unmarked gaps in the box. Baker could sit but he's not an organiser, and Senderos who could do the job appears to be unwanted.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:31 pm

I agree with you GM, I think Adebayor (near his best) would transform the complexion of our whole attacking unit. We have some great attacking young prospects, but they need somebody who they can draw confidence from and play off, which i'm not sure we have with our current strikers. Adebayor is unusual for a big man as his movement is very fluid and he has the ability to link up and create space for oncoming midfielders. I also think that adebayor is a player who needs to feel loved to put in the effort and i think Villa would suit him to a T. Big fish small pond scenario. In the same way that the villa park ground got the best out of john carew I think the sam ecould happen to Adebayor.
Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:13 pm

Time to bump this as it seems like Tim needs our help

Aston Villa boss Tim Sherwood admitted he still doesn't know his best team.

Villa have won just one of their first eight Premier League games and today's 1-0 defeat to Stoke leaves them in the bottom three.

Sherwood insists he is having to keep "jiggling" his starting line-up around as he seeks a winning formula.

Asked if he still doesn't know his best XI, Sherwood candidly admitted: "Absolutely and I think the team selection shows that every week.

I was thinking that I'd want to tweak my early season line up after a few games and a couple of new players in but in retrospect I think that I'm fairly happy with my 'Best XI'. Know some people will disagree with me on Clark but Lescott has looked creaky and no less error prone than Clark and hasn't manage to improve the leadership of our defence. My doubts are over Gestede and Hutton. Gestede is limited but it's a big decision to drop a player who has shown some scoring form. That said, VB made a good point the other day that Ayew would be more suited to playing with passing players (like in my XI) than Rudy. Hutton continues to be our least bad option at right back but I'd like to see more of Ilori and Crespo who might get into a Best XI.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum