Strongest XI?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Strongest XI?

Post by Sandie on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:51 am

With a new season just around the corner and some new players in, I think we need to discuss what sort of system and personnel will be best for dragging us out of this division. It's a difficult question.

In the words of Mike Bassett I think we need to play Four four effing two. Hogan and Kodjia obviously being the two. This causes an issue in CM as we will either need to have less of an attacking presence or see one of the conventional midfielders miss out. As I think that Hourihane will be key, I think I'd leave Lansbury out of my team. Defensive midfield is also difficult, Jedinak was great last season but we've also brought in Whelan who hasn't come to sit on the bench and also looks to have decent passing range. There's also a selection dilemma on the right. Elmo looks a good signing but Adomah was also very good last season being near to the top of the assist charts (Hourihane was also there but almost entirely from his time in Barnsley red rather than claret and blue). Left we have Andre Green or the left field (pun not intended) option of playing Amavi out of position.

Defence and keeper pretty much picks itself with Johnstone, Terry, Chester and Taylor all being sure picks alongside whichever of our six right backs you prefer.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strongest XI?

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:33 pm

I agree with the keeper and back three you've mentioned. I think Bruce has made it clear that Hutton is his preferred RB, and Whelan is nailed on to start. SB has said recently that Jedinak is one of our two best players (along with Kodjia), so I wouldn't be surprised to see both in the team when Jedinak's fit again. Adomah was our top assister last season, but I got the impression that he's a bit too flashy for Bruce, so I think Elmo will be first choice on the right. Green appears to be SB's left side choice and Lansbury also looks likely to start in right centre. Gabby will probably get the nod up front and we'll play 4-4-1-1.

I haven't given my team choice simply because Bruce would never play my way.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:35 pm

Johnson

Samba Terry Chester

Whelan

Elmohamady Taylor

Hourihane

Kodja Hogan Agbonlahor

Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:48 pm

This is how I would start against Hull. The Layout went to pot when I posted but, you should just about be able to make out the XI.  I would like to see Terry Samba and Chester at the back. Bag loads of experience and we would possess a huge threat from set pieces. Elmo and Taylor as wing back's, Elmo being the more adventurous of the two. I think Whelan s more than capable of keeping the midfield ticking and providing enough of a shield to allow the defence to spread, if and when both wing backs are caught up the field.
Hourihane is more effective than Lansbury and the stats prove that last season with 14 assists for Hourihane as opposed to 3 from Lansbury, Hourihane takes the best corners in the league, add to that two of the most prolific defensive goalscorers the premier league has seen, this would lead to guaranteed goals I think Gabby is more effective than Green, as he is able to put in dangerous crosses and gives us much-needed speed and a good outball. Kodja is effective coming from the right side and some smashing goals came from that right side of the box last season. Hogan has to have a place in the side based on the fact he is a proven scorer and will look to run in behind defence's and stretch games.
Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:05 pm

I like your thinking Jim. It's attack minded and would create more chances than we're used to. Goals would follow.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:45 am

If we're to do well this season then Hourihane has to play in an attacking midfield role. We need his goals and assists.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:15 am

Indeed. I don't think we've seen the best of him yet. Jim's thinking is similar to mine though his formation gets round a few of my selection dilemmas.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:42 am

We've worked hard on tightening the defence, but our real issue is assisting and scoring. I haven't seen evidence that we've put the same effort into improving this weak aspect of our game.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum