Steve Bruce: Aston Villa Manager

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Steve Bruce: Aston Villa Manager

Post by Sandie on Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:01 am

Indeed, the figures don't make for encouraging reading.

I read somewhere that we've got our 4 goals of 2017 from One Hundred and Three shots.
Sandie

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:16 pm

We're shooting a fair bit but it's speculative. Without the supporting shape of an attacking midfield we're not getting goals. Very few goals come from cracking shots, they come from pressing the box with second ball experts. Loose balls inevitably go to the opposition with our current set up.

I've probably said this a few times before.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:41 am

Bruce thinks that Micah Richards could be useful .... this lack of basic "homework" worries the hell out of me!

Get real Steve .... fans know more about Villa players than you do!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:35 pm

His comments about the importance of Micah Richards show that Bruce is firmly living in the past. The phrase "clutching at straws" springs to mind.
We need forward thinking progressive management, but what we are witnessing is a manager looking backwards for a solution to his problems, rather than recognising the abilities of his new guys and playing to their strengths.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:42 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:We're shooting a fair bit but it's speculative. Without the supporting shape of an attacking midfield we're not getting goals. Very few goals come from cracking shots, they come from pressing the box with second ball experts. Loose balls inevitably go to the opposition with our current set up.

I've probably said this a few times before.

The stat creates an impression of an unlucky team but I agree that the issue isn't luck-based but tactical. We have two potent strikers but our defensive style of play is leaving them somewhat isolated on the pitch. Where goals are scored they are from a moment of class or skill because that's what you need when you don't have an attacking plan.

Bruce says we need to score more goals. He's probably thinking that we're just unlucky with it without acknowledging he's the one getting things wrong.

As for Richards, if we plan on deploying the dreaded back five again, he's probably a better option than Elphick. Still not a great one, though.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:47 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:His comments about the importance of Micah Richards show that Bruce is firmly living in the past. The phrase "clutching at straws" springs to mind.

We need forward thinking progressive management, but what we are witnessing is a manager looking backwards for a solution to his problems, rather than recognising the abilities of his new guys and playing to their strengths.

See also Gabby Agbonlahor. No one who has been aware of the last five years would have trusted him. Richards has been poor for as long.

Richards is also a defender. I said back in the window we needed a centre half and below the two starters our options are deeply uninspiring, we needed another option. Now we are playing defensively in front of a defence that makes a mistake a game due to the undue pressure our tactics impose on them. There's no trustworthy back up or replacement there.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:21 pm

As far as Villa fans are concerned we watch all things AVFC in a never ending 24/7 scrolling webcam. We've seen a succession of managers flit across the screen without leaving an impression, while we sit helplessly and shout the footballing equivalent of the pantomime cry "he's behind you", while being totally ignored! This must be what it feels like to be the only sane person in an asylum.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:03 pm

I don't know about being sane. I've just booked a hotel and bought a ticket for the Derby game. Considering our recent run, the money I'm spending and the time I will take surely I am the very definition of totally insane.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:41 pm

Sandie wrote:I don't know about being sane. I've just booked a hotel and bought a ticket for the Derby game. Considering our recent run, the money I'm spending and the time I will take surely I am the very definition of totally insane.
Good man Sandie. What you've done may well become the new dictionary definition for "total insanity", but you score 100% on the passionometer!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:02 pm

Bruce is confirming what we expected when he was first appointed. He seems to be working on a basis of "this is is what I've always done and it hasn't gone to badly for me", rather than providing up to date specific training and coaching for the excellent players that he now has at the club. The doomed attempt to resurrect Gabby's career and the insistence that "Micah is the man" are proof of this.
Is it possible for a manager of Bruce's age and experience to embrace new ideas and to change the habits of a life time? I don't think it is, and I don't expect it to happen, which is why I was hoping for a progressive "David Wagner' type manager when RDM was sacked.

I'm resigned to seeing this season out, and then getting a new manager appointment right for the first time in many years.

I hope things don't get dangerous for us during the intervening months!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:25 pm

Is it the managers (we've been through a few now) or is it just the club?

We tried progressive and like old fashioned Bruce he was completely overwhelmed by the task that he ended up taking on and found himself getting the sack.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:26 pm

I will admit that a few of our recent managers have been piss poor though.

*pictures Sherwood then RDM and shudders*
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:25 pm

Perhaps we should let the fans shortlist managers next time!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:29 pm

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villas-keith-wyness-heres-12655510

It seems that Steve Bruce's job is safe. Even if we get relegated he will still be manager in the old division three next season.

Bizarre and over the top support from SB by Keith Wyness!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Harte on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:49 pm

I think it is exactly what we need to hear myself. We cannot keep changing the manager.

Chris Harte
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum