AVFC Players senior through to U21s and beyond

Page 6 of 72 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 39 ... 72  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: AVFC Players senior through to U21s and beyond

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:51 am

Sandie wrote:Gary Gardner is back in training tomorrow after a long layoff. Do we see him having an impact or should he just be sent out on loan to get first team experience first?
I've been singing GG's praises since I used to watch him playing for the reserves as a young lad. He's 23 now and injuries have blighted his career. He has all the attributes to be a really good footballer, what he needs is a long run of games (for somebody) injury free.

He's better as an attacking midfielder because he's got an eye for goal and a cracking shot from distance with both feet, but if he were to get a chance for us under Sherwood it would almost certainly be as a defensive holding midfielder.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:22 pm

I've not seen it with him yet. That said, the fact he's an attacking midfielder makes me want him to get a chance to prove me wrong.

In other news, Jack has decided he's English. Thank god that's over.
Sandie

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:09 pm

On Gardner he's a lucky boy to get another 3 years on purely potential. A handful of very ordinary first team games on his CV and pure potential. Last chance saloon for our Gary. I hope he lives up to his potential. This is a guy that was being talked about years before Jack Grealish....

Onto him, an Englishman chooses to play for England....Shocker!! Personally wish he'd gone down the Irish route as I don't like what happens when our players get picked for England. Keep him away from the international scene and we may be able to keep him!!
GadgetMan
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:59 pm

With Ireland he'd have had to play for O'Neill and Keane. Neither of them popular in Villa circles.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:36 pm

Not really heard of this guy but an interesting article on one of your young prospects: http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/09/28/young-aussie-lyden-aims-high-villa?cid=trending

Despite missing the whole of last season with a horrific hamstring injury, the Young Socceroos midfielder came off the bench in two pre-season first-team games and trains regularly with the senior side under the watchful eye of coach Tim Sherwood.

The graduate of Perth's renowned ECU Joondalup academy insists that he will be ready if - and when – the call comes from Sherwood, a strong advocate of promoting young talent when others might fear to tread.

“It’s a great thing to be made captain of the Under-21s, especially having been out all of last year,” said Lyden, who scored the winner in a 2-1 victory over West Ham two weeks back.

"The main thing is just staying fit. I am 19 now and have age in my side. I am training with the first team and I am in the right place with the right club.

"The coaches have said as long as I keep doing what I am doing there's no reason why I can't push on to the first team.

"Tim Sherwood is very good for bringing youngsters through as he showed in his time at Tottenham and Villa are renowned also for giving youngsters a chance."

Lyden has played every minute of the Under-21's opening four games, of which they have won three and drawn one. He also featured in the pre-season friendlies against Swindon and Walsall.

He knows only too well how far former Tottenham Under-21's skipper and Australia star Massimo Luongo has come since his days as a Spurs rookie, moving to Swindon and then Queens Park Rangers, with an Asian Cup winners' medial and most valuable player accolade collected along the way.

But Lyden says his playing style as more akin to Socceroos skipper Mile Jedinak, explaining: “I am a bit similar in way to Mile in that I like to get stuck in with a tackle and I can play at the same time.

“That’s what Villa seem to like about me ... I can play in the right areas and if I need to mix it up a bit I can. But I like to play football. That's really my game, the technical side of things."

Lyden, whose parents are English, broke into Australia's Under-20s side before his hamstring hell, and was also sounded out last year by coach Aurelio Vidmar over the Olyroos who are in the midst of their preparations for January’s bid to qualify for the 2016 Rio Olympics.

“Now I am back playing, hopefully I am in contention for the Under 23s,” said Lyden who played in the qualifiers for the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Malaysia last year.

He was struck down soon after signing a two-year extension on his Villa deal in August 2014 and admits it was a challenging period in a budding career which began when he trialed at Villa at the age of nine before signing a contract at 16.

"It was very frustrating ... I played 10 minutes in a pre-season game and missed the whole season. It was 15cm tear in my hamstring that was recurring and never had the right time to heal. But that's behind me now," he said.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:31 pm

He's got the right christian name "Jordan" so that may help him. Very Happy

He's another good strong prospect, but I wonder with the financial stakes so high now, whether our young players will ever do more than go out on loan and gain "experience."
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:47 pm

It's better that than what happened when O'Neill was in charge. The young players never got the chance for the first team and also never got first team experience out on loan. I think this was probably to the detriment of some of the young players we had a couple of years ago. Baker and Clark were getting asked to be our centre half partnership in struggling Villa sides a few years back having had very little first team experience even elsewhere.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:10 pm

Here's a surprise... Our most creative player so far this season is...

Aston Villa’s most creative player after 7 Premier League games

Name: Ashley Westwood
Position: Midfielder
Key passes per game: 2
Assists: 1

Villa left-back Jordan Amavi may have one more assist than Westwood this season, but it is his team-mate in midfield that is impressing with his creativity.

The former Crewe midfielder has an impressive two key passes per game so far this term, and has become a real key player for the Villans under Tim Sherwood.

His manager has tipped him for an England call-up during the 2015-16 campaign, and he will have to maintain these stats to get his chance with Roy Hodgson’s Three Lions.

Less impressive if you compare to Leicester's most creative player or even this guy Lambert tried to sign.

This is less surprising

Sherwood: What I love about Gana

Idrissa Gana may be small in stature - but Tim Sherwood insists the returning midfielder's influence on the pitch is "monstrous".

Sherwood says Gana has been the standout star of his new recruits from France's Ligue 1.

The boss likes Gana's formidable football demeanor and thinks he will be a vital asset as Villa look to move up the Barclays Premier League table.

Sherwood believes Villa really missed his driving force during his spell out injured.

He came back into the side against Liverpool at Anfield and, with another week of training under his belt, the manager thinks the midfielder will be an important player in the upcoming home clash with Stoke...and beyond.

He told AVTV: "Idrissa is such a small guy off the pitch. You look at him and his stature is very small.

"But when he's on the pitch he looks like a monster. He plays like that.

"We just hope we can start putting some points together so people start recognizing the actual contribution he's making because it's very easy when the team lose to say everyone is not very good.

"That's not the case. There are some good performances out there, certainly from Idrissa.

"He was unfortunate to pick up the injury. We missed him over the period when he was out.

"I think he is the player who has come in and settled quicker than anyone.

"The game can't be quick enough for him. Sometimes the Premier League is very quick for these guys and they wonder what they have come into.

"But Idrissa has taken to it like a duck to water - very well. He's certainly one I want to take into the trenches."
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:19 am

Sandie wrote:Here's a surprise... Our most creative player so far this season is...

Aston Villa’s most creative player after 7 Premier League games

Name: Ashley Westwood
Position: Midfielder
Key passes per game: 2
Assists: 1

Villa left-back Jordan Amavi may have one more assist than Westwood this season, but it is his team-mate in midfield that is impressing with his creativity.

The former Crewe midfielder has an impressive two key passes per game so far this term, and has become a real key player for the Villans under Tim Sherwood.

His manager has tipped him for an England call-up during the 2015-16 campaign, and he will have to maintain these stats to get his chance with Roy Hodgson’s Three Lions.

Less impressive if you compare to Leicester's most creative player or even this guy Lambert tried to sign.

This is less surprising

Sherwood: What I love about Gana

Idrissa Gana may be small in stature - but Tim Sherwood insists the returning midfielder's influence on the pitch is "monstrous".

Sherwood says Gana has been the standout star of his new recruits from France's Ligue 1.

The boss likes Gana's formidable football demeanor and thinks he will be a vital asset as Villa look to move up the Barclays Premier League table.

Sherwood believes Villa really missed his driving force during his spell out injured.

He came back into the side against Liverpool at Anfield and, with another week of training under his belt, the manager thinks the midfielder will be an important player in the upcoming home clash with Stoke...and beyond.

He told AVTV: "Idrissa is such a small guy off the pitch. You look at him and his stature is very small.

"But when he's on the pitch he looks like a monster. He plays like that.

"We just hope we can start putting some points together so people start recognizing the actual contribution he's making because it's very easy when the team lose to say everyone is not very good.

"That's not the case. There are some good performances out there, certainly from Idrissa.

"He was unfortunate to pick up the injury. We missed him over the period when he was out.

"I think he is the player who has come in and settled quicker than anyone.

"The game can't be quick enough for him. Sometimes the Premier League is very quick for these guys and they wonder what they have come into.

"But Idrissa has taken to it like a duck to water - very well. He's certainly one I want to take into the trenches."
I agree with the Gana comments, but I think 'Shoots' Westwood stats give stats a bad name. You can't praise a guy on the basis of a couple of kicks when his overall game has been detrimental to the team. Westwood has been ineffective at best and awful at worst. He's blocking a decent midfielder and set piece taker in Veretout from getting the playing time he needs.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:19 pm

I know it goes against popular opinion, however I rate Westwood and don't get why he gets such a hard time. He's an unspectacular player, but the type you need to recycle the ball and keep play moving through its various phases, he does that well. The problem for me is who he's alongside. Shove him next to Sanchez and he's wasted. In a midfield of Gana and Veretout I think he would compliment them perfectly. His set pieces aren't my cup of tea (by any stretch) but again, he's asked to take them and has consistently being taking them under Lambert and Sherwood and at Crewe before that. They must see something for him to keep being the the 'man' there are 10 other pro footballers on the pitch that aren't trusted to take set pieces. Now we can argue he's not the right man, however it's not a stick to beat him with imo as he's just doing what's asked of him, blame Sherwood and the coaches for his continual selection for set piece duty.

Agree on Gana, he just needs to get his fitness back now as he will be very important for us.

We have many problems currently and I think Westwood is the least the of them. Get a settled back four that's not changed game by game and a settle midfield and you might start to see a better villa. I'd have AW all day over Sanchez.
GadgetMan
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:41 pm

GadgetMan wrote:I know it goes against popular opinion, however I rate Westwood and don't get why he gets such a hard time. He's an unspectacular player, but the type you need to recycle the ball and keep play moving through its various phases, he does that well. The problem for me is who he's alongside.

I am a Westwood fan as well and agree that's the problem. I actually rate all of Gana, Sanchez and Westwood individually, I just don't think they work well together as they are all similar players. At most, only two of them should be in the same team and Gana should be the first choice. Don't get why he does so many set pieces but even before he did start taking them we always seemed to be crap at them. Who was our last decent set piece taker? Ashley Young? And even towards the end of his time with us his started to get a bit poor.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:09 pm

Cole Wants a move

Joe Cole has held talks with Tim Sherwood over his Aston Villa future and is keen to join a Championship club on loan.

Cole is determined to kick-start his career after struggling to figure in Sherwood’s plans and Villa will consider a short-term move for the former England international.

The 33-year-old - who signed a two-year contract with Villa in June 2014 - has not started a game since Sherwood’s appointment in February and made only one appearance this season, as a substitute in the Capital One Cup against Notts County.

Cole is fully fit, however, and has met with Sherwood and made it clear he wants to be allowed out for some first-team football.

Sherwood is understood to have sympathy for the midfielder and will sanction a deal if a Championship club makes a move. Cole’s Villa contract is worth around £20,000 a week.

Villa will also consider loan moves for other fringe players, including Charles N’Zogbia, Kieran Richardson and Philippe Senderos, as Sherwood bids to trim his squad.

Sherwood said: “If someone wants to take one of these players who are not going to play on a regular basis then I would have to decide whether it would be right for the club to let them go.”

The Villa manager remains interested in signing Emmanuel Adebayor in January, with the striker now a free agent after his departure from Tottenham Hotspur.

Adebayor turned down a move to the Midlands in July, despite passing a medical, but Sherwood will wait for the 31-year-old to initiate contact before deciding whether to revive a deal.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:37 pm

I've got to disagree with you guys about Westwood, you can count his assists and goals for us in his three seasons on the fingers of one hand. He's a competent short passer and he shows good energy levels, but he ducks 50/50's in favour of the tackle from the side or behind which means he gives away a lot of needless fouls. His deadball kicks are both woeful and brainless and yet his presence on the pitch generally means he get's to take most of them, and waste all of them.

So to sum up, he isn't brave, he can't take players on, his corners are rubbish, he hardly ever scores or assists .... but he can recycle the ball and he's energetic.

I think that just about covers it. Very Happy
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:39 am

Our most effective goal scorer is a big man who scores with his head. Our most effective creative players play with the ball to feet. Waiting for the team to gel is going to be a problem.

Gestede or Gil, Grealish and Traore? Ayew needs to play if we're to get the most of our creative players. Is there space in the same team for two different philosophies? It will be interesting to see what happens this weekend.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:40 pm

It's odd, do we really have a attacking player who can get crosses in to Rudy? IIRC his two goals against Liverpool came from crosses from the full backs but Jack, Gil and even Adama seem most comfortable when they're coming inside. What's Rudy like with his feet? We've only really seen him use his head so far.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 72 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 39 ... 72  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum