AVFC Players senior through to U21s and beyond

Page 4 of 74 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39 ... 74  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: AVFC Players senior through to U21s and beyond

Post by Sandie on Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:56 pm

He might be one of those who could benefit from a spell out on loan at a decent standard.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:07 pm

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out which of our four strikers is going to score enough goals for us this season?
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:06 pm

The way I see it:

Sinclair: He's got 5 goals, which is good, but for me he only scores regularly against poor teams.
Gabby: Lately I'd back Guzan to score ahead of him.
Ayew: Got it all to prove.
Gestede: As Ayew
Kozak: Gets better with every game he doesn't play.

Funny thing is, we've not really struggled for goals so far it's just that we seem to need to get 3 or 4 goals to get anything from a game! I have no doubt that unless one of the guys step up or Sinclair starts to prove me wrong against better teams that lack of goals up front will start to trouble us. Not sure a young player is the answer. I just don't understand what's going on with Kozak. He got a couple in pre-season, has scored a few times at a first team level but he doesn't even get on to the bench ahead of some players who are to be frank, poor, either due to quality or form. When will the point come that he gets a chance?
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:21 pm

I notice Ilori has played in a defensive midfield role on the two occasions he's played for us (Oxford and Brighton reserve matches). I'd love to have a long conversation with Tim and find out what's going through his head at the moment.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:49 pm

I'm just pondering on the phrase "he's not ready yet". The latest player to be described as not ready yet by Tim Sherwood is Tiago Ilori. Prior to him it was Veretout, Ayew, Gestede and Adama. Add to that the signing of two players who are cover players because they're not actually good enough for the first eleven (Bunn and Crespo). That's seven players that we bought for 30 million pounds, who aren't currently thought either ready or good enough for the first eleven.

Did we get our scouting wrong, or does Sherwood think he has time to get these players ready? We started against Leicester with eight of last season's failed players on the pitch, and yet we've just spent over fifty two million pounds on twelve first team squad players. I find it baffling that we don't seem to have a plan beyond those dreaded words "we go again"!

Am I worrying unnecessarily?
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:21 pm

I think Adama and Ilori are seen as players for the future who, just might, make some kind of impact this season before doing bigger things in the future. I'd be unsurprised if Crespo was bought to possibly be a first choice, he was starting pre-season friendlies ahead of Hutton but injury has got in the way of that (but he also wasn't particular impressive looking shaky in that Forest game before his injury). Also, for players that are 'not ready' Ayew and Gestede have been getting a lot of playing team. Enough for us to probably agree that they aren't ready, ironically.

I said before when we got some of these well-fancied players that it often takes time for them to step up to the standard of premiership football. Ligue 1 (where Ayew and Veretout came from and Ilori was on loan to) is a different standard, it has a different pace and as a consequence players need to adapt. Gana might be able to step up immediately, other players might not take to it as well. If we bought established PL players we wouldn't have that problem but we also wouldn't be excited and would probably have paid even more cash.

I'm going to cop out and say that it's too soon to say that you're worrying unnecessarily. Very Happy
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:56 pm

When I look at players like Dimitri Payet at West Ham I'm not surprised that he's assisting and knocking goals in for them. They paid a proper fee and proper wages, and got a player who was more than ready for the Premier League.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:41 pm

Aye, but there's more chance of knitting fog than Lerner paying for one of those. We're a club stuck in limbo because, for whatever reason, Lerner hasn't been able to sell the club.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:57 pm

Sandie wrote:Aye, but there's more chance of knitting fog than Lerner paying for one of those. We're a club stuck in limbo because, for whatever reason, Lerner hasn't been able to sell the club.
You're right unfortunately Sandie. Last season we were floundering in the deep end of the Premier swimming pool and we nearly drowned. What we needed to buy was three or four life guards, instead due to Randy's refusal to allocate a reasonable 20 million on top of player sales money, we've gone out and bought talented young kids in arm bands, and we're afraid to throw them into the pool in case they fail to tread water this season.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:49 am

Okay .... I've been fairly damning with my posts so far, so I'll try and be positive. We have some good young players, let's get it on!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:54 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:Okay .... I've been fairly damning with my posts so far, so I'll try and be positive. We have some good young players, let's get it on!

A fair few internationals amongst those kids VB. Whilst a lot of our buys lack EPL experience, they don't lack footballing experience. What baffles me is Tim has this reputation for throwing in youth, yet says Veretout, Ilori, Adama etc aren't ready. I hope it's just him downplaying expectation in public and giving himself a bit of breathing space, or he's gone and done what PL did in his first year which was buy young hopeful prospects. One thing he and PL have in common is the inability due to RL to go out and buy the finished article. I don't think I can bear a fifth season of relegation battles. I'm sure (he has to) get them firing soon.

I originally said it would take until the end of October before we saw what this side was capable of. I'm going to stick to that and hope it's just a case of all gelling and bedding in. I do worry though. I've been worried since Southampton last year (like you) Big week coming up. Massive in terms of momentum in either direction.

Come on Villa, do us proud...
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:31 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3239209/Paul-Pogba-gave-advice-signing-Aston-Villa-reveals-Jordan-Veretout.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Give him a shot at that future he came here for Tim!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:38 pm

He sounds like he has a really good attitude. I love what he's saying here too:

It was a club I instantly got a feeling for so that’s what swayed my decision.

'Aston Villa is a name. That was one of my main reasons. Then when I came to Aston Villa it just felt right and I knew I wanted to be here.

'I knew about Villa when I was young, a club that had won a lot of trophies and has a rich history.

'It was always a club that attracted me. It’s really important for me to say that I didn’t choose the club on the basis of money. I chose it for me and my future.'

With so many players out and him getting to do these interviews I suspect we'll see him in action tomorrow.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:40 pm

Sandie wrote:He sounds like he has a really good attitude. I love what he's saying here too:

It was a club I instantly got a feeling for so that’s what swayed my decision.

'Aston Villa is a name. That was one of my main reasons. Then when I came to Aston Villa it just felt right and I knew I wanted to be here.

'I knew about Villa when I was young, a club that had won a lot of trophies and has a rich history.

'It was always a club that attracted me. It’s really important for me to say that I didn’t choose the club on the basis of money. I chose it for me and my future.'

With so many players out and him getting to do these interviews I suspect we'll see him in action tomorrow.
I hope so, any longer and it will start to erode his confidence. Long term I see Gana and Veretout running centre midfield for us.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:42 pm

Gana Vertout and Gil in midfield, Adama and Jack out wide. I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

Only problem is who to put up front!
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 74 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39 ... 74  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top