'The Sale of Aston Villa FC' Countdown Thread: Now Sold!

Page 5 of 62 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 33 ... 62  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 'The Sale of Aston Villa FC' Countdown Thread: Now Sold!

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:38 pm

Sandie wrote:The truth is probably the one story we haven't heard. It will lie somewhere between what Dim Tim has been saying and what Fox has said yesterday.
I was taught "always tell the truth, because lies will catch you out." Old fashioned but true.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:58 pm

What good will appointing a Chairman and new board member do? We know that Randy's Mom is in charge of the purse strings, so will the new guys have the final say on anything? Will they bug*ery!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:57 pm

Very true, I can't help but think this is too little too late and merely rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:09 pm

Sandie wrote:Very true, I can't help but think this is too little too late and merely rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
I think it shows that Randy still doesn't understand that football is about the eleven men on the pitch on match days.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:49 pm

It all takes focus away on what a truly awful job Lerner has done and it could be said Fox, since he's been here, funny that huh?!

Let's have a meeting to discuss press gossip and not the real shit we're in......only in Vila World eh?!
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:56 pm

GadgetMan wrote:It all takes focus away on what a truly awful job Lerner has done and it could be said Fox, since he's been here, funny that huh?!

Let's have a meeting to discuss press gossip and not the real shit we're in......only in Vila World eh?!
Exactly! It's like watching a politician being interviewed. Ignore the question and babble on about irrelevancies. Fox and Lerner are really taking the p*ss now aren't they!

Get your wallet out Randy .... it's probably too late, but at least it would show a glimmer of understanding as to the cause of our terminal decline. Mad
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:58 pm

I've just had a thought. Is the new Chairman's job to come in and start preparing the club and the fans for life in division two?
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:13 pm

GadgetMan wrote:It all takes focus away on what a truly awful job Lerner has done and it could be said Fox, since he's been here, funny that huh?!

There was a more detailed summary posted in one of the Facebook groups and there was supposedly a lot from Fox about how we had improved the structure since he had become CEO because 'we weren't set up for the PL'. Funny then that after doing this we are now in genuine danger of dropping out of the division in particularly limp fashion.

As for VB's comment, I'm thinking that they have given very little thought to the chance that we might drop out of the league. I'd not be surprised if they aren't prepared for it at all which considering the complete failure to engineer any sort of upturn is bad news.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:39 pm

I guess in the normal way of things the announcement of a Chairman should give us some answers. His CV should tell us what Randy has in mind .... but it is Lerner and "the normal way of things" probably doesn't apply.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:50 pm

What qualities would we be looking for in this new chairman?

Someone with extensive knowledge of the game who can make up for what everyone else at the club seemingly lacks? I think that is still the biggest problem with the off the pitch side of things at Villa. Someone who can be a public face for the club? We continue to be exceptionally poor at using the press with Lerner being a persona muta and Fox being little better so perhaps there needs to be a spokesman who can put the club's version of events forward. Anything else?

I'm really unsure where exactly a chairman would fit in and what exactly they would do. At the end of the day, the things I'm looking for in a Chairman would be opposed to the weaknesses of current senior figures which speaks volumes.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:22 pm

Sandie wrote:What qualities would we be looking for in this new chairman?

Someone with extensive knowledge of the game who can make up for what everyone else at the club seemingly lacks? I think that is still the biggest problem with the off the pitch side of things at Villa. Someone who can be a public face for the club? We continue to be exceptionally poor at using the press with Lerner being a persona muta and Fox being little better so perhaps there needs to be a spokesman who can put the club's version of events forward. Anything else?

I'm really unsure where exactly a chairman would fit in and what exactly they would do. At the end of the day, the things I'm looking for in a Chairman would be opposed to the weaknesses of current senior figures which speaks volumes.
You're right about us needing a Chairman with extensive football knowledge, but they are few and far between. David Dein, David Gill, Rick Parry etc. but after that I can't think of any. Given that big names wouldn't touch Villa with a barge pole, we're probably looking at yet another business administrator.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:22 pm

I had heard we were after a chairman who would be a focal point for the club, a spokesperson and to represent the club, a figurehead as we don't have one with Lerner being in the US. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone with links to the club already, or a known personality whose remit would be to galvanise the club and the fan base, whatever division we're in. David Dein would be perfect, it would complete the mini Arsenal were building (minus the football side of things)

In short, I don't see it as someone with much actual responsibility, so this may be seen in the person we appoint. Graham Taylor? Surely too old. Ultimately he reports to Randy (or his mum) so can't set a budget, make any real changes etc! So if we can get someone in that will represent the club in a positive light and change our image from this cloak and danger outfit to a more media savvy and liked organisation it will be a good appointment. Beyond that I can't see what else it will achieve? We should find out soon enough anyway.
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:37 pm

I like the idea of Mervyn King if it's a figurehead we're after. If he's still got a spare key to the Royal Mint that would do nicely! Very Happy
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:18 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:I like the idea of Mervyn King if it's a figurehead we're after. If he's still got a spare key to the Royal Mint that would do nicely! Very Happy

Yes a likeable character, a villa fan and a smart buisnessman, makes way too much sense, so rule him out haha! It does make you wonder why Lerner hasn't tried to get investment in, as in a partner with a stake in the club, he/she could then be an active Chairman. Whatever the role and intentions, as long as it adds some sort of value by way of improved transparency/relations or actual business acumen, then it can't be a bad thing. Sadly it won't make our battle any easier this season (unless it's Richard scudamore and he can somehow make it so we're on 16 and not 6 points)

So candidates for a chairman?

Mervyn King
Graham Taylor
An ex player like Ian Taylor, Brian Little
Ex FA chief Bernstein

Any others? Guess it depends on the remit and if we're after a figurehead or someone with business acumen, if so I'd rule out any ex players and go for Mervyn King or someone of that ilk.
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:43 pm

GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 62 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 33 ... 62  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum