Stan Petrov

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stan Petrov

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:57 pm

Before I say anything else I will say what I know to be true. We all love Stan Petrov.

Now for the hard part. Stan is clearly too old and not fit enough to make a difference this season. Leaving aside our love we have to consider the facts. Would you play Stan instead of Tshibola, Gardner or Veretout? Would you start him in front of Gana, Westwood or Sanchez?

That's the problem. Stan is being mobbed and eulogised by fans at every opportunity, for what he's been and what he's conquered .... not what he can add to the Villa team now. It's time to offer Stan a non playing role, out of the limelight at BMH. If we continue to pretend that he has a playing future, it could damage us.

An unpopular post, but in line with my other recent criticism's it's time for Villa to get real. We need to be ruthless at clearing the decks, so now is not the time to get misty eyed over a much loved player.

Ruthless management has been absent from AVFC for far too long.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stan Petrov

Post by Sandie on Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:49 pm

I think you're being harsh. I think he is owed the chance to prove himself, at the least, just with no guarantees. I've not seen a kick of any of our pre-season games so it is difficult for me to judge but there have been no comments I've seen so far about him being well of the pace. Maybe that's because of people's tremendous respect for him and he's been poor, I don't know, but the suggestions are that he hasn't looked off the pace against some low level teams. It might be different against Nantes or Boro if he gets that far.

I agree that ruthless management is required but there are far, far, far more deserving targets than Stan. Why do the likes of Gabby Agbonlahor and Joleon Lescott seem to still think they have a future with the club? Why do some fans still support them continuing to play for us? Stan deserves a lot more respect than those guys. As things stand, Petrov isn't even contracted to us as far as I know. He wants to play and even when he was less healthy he was a terror to oppositions when he played in the amateur leagues. If he finds he's not up to the pace we require, I can see him trying to get involved at a lower level rather than get some token role with Villa. From what I've heard, he's turned them down when offered before entirely because he wants to get back to playing at some level.

I don't think he will make it at Championship level but I think he deserves the chance and even getting to train with us and use our facilities will help his fitness if he chooses to play elsewhere.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:16 am

I respect your views on Stan and you're right about him deserving a chance. I just worry about the messianic focus that Villa fans are surrounding him with. I don't want anything detracting from our promotion push this season. If we miss out on promotion by a point or two, I don't want it to be down to sentiment.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:40 pm

I can see your point. IF it gets as far as him being involved and he's not at the pace then I'd like to think Stan would be the first to call it quits. What I would also say is that Stan was a strong captain and is now an inspirational figure, exactly what our weak players need to have around them. If the miracle (and that's what it will be) does happen I don't really see him being involved beyond coming on as a calm head to close out games.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:24 pm

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2016/07/20/petrov-update

Sad, but sensible in my opinion.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:43 pm

Yes, I agree. Obviously, this decision has been the consequence of all parties agreeing that it's the right way forward.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:46 pm

He's been offered a job at Villa which should be the way forward for him. (again imo)

Yet again, tonight has been more about Stan than the pre season friendly on social media, which demonstrates the potential for being distracted by the whole "Stan fairy tale". It's not his fault, but even if he hadn't have had a life threatening disease, his career would definitely have been over now, purely on a chronological scale. We need to move on.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:02 pm

We had a friendly tonight!?
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:10 am

Sandie wrote:We had a friendly tonight!?
Shhushh! Don't wake up the Villa official site, it's sleeping! Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum