Squad Size

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Squad Size

Post by Jim Villan on Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:54 pm

DM has stated that he wants to Work with a much smaller squad, There will be some difficult decisions to make, and I'm sure we won't agree with all the decisions DM makes this summer.  If you had to pick two players for every position on the pitch who would they be? Heres my squad, I have included NEW SIGNINGS in positions in which I feel we need strengthening

Goalkeepers
Guzan
Gollina

Rightback
Micha Richards
NEW SIGNING (Gunther)

Right Centre Half
Okore
Elphick

Left Centre Half
Baker
lescott

Leftback
Cissoko
Lydon

Right Winger
Traore
Gil

Right Centre Midfielder
Tshibola
Gueye

Left Centre Midfielder
Gardner
NEW SIGNING

left Winger
Grelish
Amavi

Forwards
Ayew
Gestede
New signing
Gabby Agbonlahor

players to leave:

Clarke
Westward
Sanchez
Bunn
kozak
Vertout
Hutton
Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Squad Size

Post by villabromsgrove on Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:42 pm

Very interesting thread Jim. I will have to ponder and give you my squad later.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:18 pm

Following the two players for every position rule...

Goalkeepers:
Gollini
Steer

Right Back:
New Signing
Richards

Centre Half 1:
Okore
Baker

Centre Half 2:
Elphick
Clark

Left Back:
Cissoko
Lyden

Right Winger:
Traore
New Signing

Right Central Midfielder:
Tshibola
Gueye (if he leaves, new signing)

Left Central Midfielder:
Veretout (if he leaves, new signing)
Gardner

Left Winger:
Amavi
Grealish

Forward 1:
Ayew
New Signing

Forward 2:
Gestede
New Signing/Maybe Kozak

Players to leave:
Gabby
Bacuna
Lescott
Sinclair
Westwood
Sanchez
Gil
Bunn

Goalkeeper was a position I found myself agonising over. I can see the point VB has made about us needing an experienced backup (as such Guzan is the man) but, Guzan has now been poor for such a long time and Steer has football league experience so I'm going with a second youngster. I think you probably need three keepers to get by now. My favoured approach would have been an experienced keeper bought in with Steer as an understudy but we've gone with the young Gollini so all we can do is hope he really is a star of the future. Right back is another problem area, I find Richards and Hutton to have been much of a muchness of incompetence last season. Richards only getting a grudged nod because he can (badly) cover centre half as well.

Midfield is more straightforward, agree that Amavi could be a very good left winger or if we consider him a left back we can also see Lyden as a possibility in central midfield (which I think is his main position?).

Up front, I stand by the idea that Gestede and Ayew could terrorise Championship defences so would be my favoured options for now. It does raise the question of what kind of player we should target as backup. Do we go for strength in depth and get in a quality player, do we blood youngsters or do we find a promising youngster elsewhere? A good striker is a very expensive player and that's money that could be spent elsewhere.

I think as important of who we bring in will be who we get rid of. There are players who can really damage a dressing room still with the club and players who are miles off the standard required both of which should have no future. For me, players like Gabby, Lescott and Bacuna have got to go. There's another camp of players who I wouldn't be disappointed to see go, some of whom even made my theoretical squad.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan on Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:33 pm

I like the look of your squad Sandy this gives me hope as the Core of our squads are the same and looks pretty Solid, and also it makes our shopping look relatively simple, as we are both only looking for 3 further additions. I can see why you have a new signing as right midfield as Traore is injury prone and Gil might lack the pace to constantly threaten and be effective in wide areas.  We have massively struggle to create Goals over the past couple of seasons and I don't think we can leave this to chance this season. On paper we have players with bags of potential, however the consistent end product (assists and goals) from the likes of Traore Grelish and Gil. I think Amavi could be a revelation next season he has the ability to glide by players and puts in accurate pace crosses in which is all you need from a winger. The Midfield looks far more solid with the physical prowess of Tshibola.
Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Natterjack on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi guys, I agree- these squads give me more hope and if the new manager and coaches are thinking along the same kind of lines I think we'll have a chance of promotion. There's a huge amount of games this year for us so we do need to be thinking about backing up each position, and like a lot of successfully promoted teams over recent years, our squad lends itself to 4-4-2 pretty well.
My squad would look something like this:

GK: GUZAN, GOLLINI (whoever proves themselves to be the best, keeping Guzan minimises risk)

RB: GUNTER, RICHARDS (Gunter = no brainer)

RCB: ELPHICK, OKORE (ideally move Elphick across to left centre back as I think this pair are the best centre backs we have and could link up really well)

LCB: BAKER, LESCOTT (Championship experience in Baker, 3rd choice defender I'd say + naturally left sided)

LB: AMAVI, JOSE ENRIQUE (Personally would like to see Amavi at left midfield due to his attacking strengths/defensive weaknesses but think it's unlikely RDM will consider this. Jose Enrique an alternative option - just been released by Liverpool, free, could be a clever signing)

RM: ADAMA, GIL

RCM: TSHIBOLA, GUEYE (Think Gueye will move on, leaving Gardner to serve as backup for the role)

LCM: VERETOUT, GARDNER (If Veretout moves on, pick up a more attacking option to go alongside Tshibola such as Forestieri [goals/assists and has played LCM for large spells])

LM: SAKO, GREALISH (Sako - lost his place at Crystal Palace, tonnes of goals and assists, proven to excel in Championship, expensive, worth it)

RF: GESTEDE, MARTIN (Martin's guaranteed goals and assists make him a good option if say Ayew were to move on)

LF: AYEW, GABBY

The most important factors for me would be; recognising the quality talent we already have at the club who either have potential (Okore, Adama etc) or have proven their class in football already to a certain reliable standard (Richards, Gestede etc), release the ineffective and error prone players (Hutton, Sanchez, Westwood, Clark) and inject more goals and assists with a few effective signings (e.g. Sako, Martin etc).
Mr Natterjack
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:58 pm

Good post Mr N. I like your idea of possible signings because I think a few of our recent signings will be sold. I'm still scratching my head about my first choice squad.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan on Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:06 pm

I think Sako is exactly the type of player who would give us that extra/different supply of goals. We just need a couple of players who give us an amount of guaranteed goals and assists and we should be looking more than capable of being a good championship side.
Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan on Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:07 pm

who is Martin? Embarassed
Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:26 am

Chris Martin from Derby?

Some good suggestions of signings there, Mr Natterjack, Sako in particular is a great shout. We've got a solid player in Elphick, we've got two (well one with another to be confirmed) promising youngsters coming in with Gollini and Tshibola but we need someone with a bit more sparkle that's nearer to the finished article. Sako, a player who has done it in the FLC, fits that for me.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Natterjack on Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:16 pm

Oh yes Chris Martin from Derby- when he's fit for them they do well, when he's out they struggle and he's a team player with end product. Yeah I'd have thought the two real obvious transfer shouts for a team looking to get promotion would have been Ritchie and Sako (tick all the boxes, consistent goals/assists from midfield, championship experience, unwanted at their clubs).. Newcastle got in their fast with Ritchie so fair play to them.. I think we can expect him to be a lead assister and a vital player for them this season. As you said Sandy- we've picked up a leader and a couple of potential gems but not necessarily the guaranteed match winners as Newcastle have so far with Gayle and Ritchie. I think the options are limited for us (due to time and Championship status), so we should make an attempt for an available player like Sako.
Mr Natterjack
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan on Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:26 pm

Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan on Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:27 pm

went on his Wiki and he looks pretty Handy! Good shout Mr N
Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan on Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:48 pm

The more I think about our strikers the more I think that we have the necessary players already, for me its just how we supply them. I think that Ayew Kozak and Gabby could all have 15 goals in them were they to play all the games (hypothetically) and Getstede has 20+. So for me, we really need to focus on finding a quality proven provider. As you have said Mr N, we've missed out on Ritchie and that may prove the difference for Newcastle, can we find somebody of the same ilk? Grealish will could be great next season and Traore is given a chance could be great. Amavi is the one for me, left wing he could provide a consistent goal supply, or Grealish with Amavi behind him those two could be amazing together if Grealish is coached properly, and taught to effectively track back and cover when Amavi goes forward, much in the same way as Ashley young used to.
Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:14 pm

I think the injury to Amavi last season scuppered us as he was looking to be key to our supply line from his early moments. Traore's not had a chance to impress properly yet and Grealish needs to re-capture his form. Going over things Grealish has been tweeting it looks like having Petrov around again seems to have gone done well with him. It's good that something might get Grealish smiling again after a difficult time last season. I think dropping down a level will really help those guys, they'll probably be better in the Premiership when we return for it too.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:40 am

I can't improve on the "two players per position" squads that you guys have come up with.

In my opinion it's all about who goes, rather than who comes in at the moment. We had key positions malfunctioning last season. Right Back and Centre Midfield were totally ineffective. Hutton, Westwood, Sanchez and even Gueye have to bear responsibility for that. Our keeper and Centre Backs were poor, but the totally unmarked area that Hutton should have been responsible for caused most of the loss of shape and uncertainty in my opinion.

villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum