Pierluigi Gollini

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pierluigi Gollini

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:26 pm

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/transfer-news-details-aston-villas-11551494

Martin Laurence from the Guardian and Who's scored site has tweeted "Gollini to Villa done". I thought that we might as well run with it and give him his own thread. 1st or 2nd choice keeper? I wonder whether Pantelimon might still come in?
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pierluigi Gollini

Post by Sandie on Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:25 pm

Might be someone groomed as a first choice in the longer term? Buying on potential?
Sandie

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:35 pm

Sandie wrote:Might be someone groomed as a first choice in the longer term? Buying on potential?
I hope so Sandie. This season is too important to take risks with, and as good as this young guy is it would be a risk.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan on Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:25 pm

The youtube video that I watched of Gollina indicated that he is in the David De Ge mould, seems to have good timing when he dives the Ball, lets hope that he develops into a word class goalie with the Villa. Best Villa keeper in recent history for me was Bossie, he wasn't a giant by any means but his spacial awareness and reactions were second to none, coincidentally he was 21 when he made his Villa Debut in the epic league cup semi final against Tranmere, if you're good enough your old enough!
Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:32 pm

You're right about the early De Gea similarities, although DG is a couple of inches taller which probably gives him more yardage of cover. He's a lot more muscular than DG though so that could help.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:13 pm

Guess it was this video, JV?

Having watched it, he certainly loves to parry and block, not sure this is a good thing but it seems the way most keepers are heading today. His reactions look lightning quick, though, which is very positive. Last season, he did play for the team that finished plum last in Serie A, so there's quite a few conceded goals missing from that highlight reel.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:14 am

Sandie wrote:Guess it was this video, JV?

Having watched it, he certainly loves to parry and block, not sure this is a good thing but it seems the way most keepers are heading today. His reactions look lightning quick, though, which is very positive. Last season, he did play for the team that finished plum last in Serie A, so there's quite a few conceded goals missing from that highlight reel.
He parries back into the six yard box and in front which is risky. He should fit in with the rest of the lads though, because he will fully understand that relegation feeling!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:43 pm

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/what-pierluigi-gollini-say-imminent-11576562

Hmmm .... I hope RDM/SC have thought this through. He may be talented, but he's still only 21 years old, and will have a lot still to learn. Is the hot bed of good old English physical football the place to hone his skills? English is obviously not his first language, and although he will have learnt enough a couple of years back at Man U, it's a challenge to verbally communicate at speed with a strange defence in a full tilt league.

This season is a must win season, so I'm surprised that we've gambled with a key position.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:35 pm

I think his time with United would mean that communication wouldn't be a problem. I do agree, though, that taking a gamble on a rookie - however promising - is, well, a big gamble. I hope that a lot of thorough in depth scouting has taken place.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:48 pm

If you leave aside Guzan and Bunn on the strength of criticism and fan pressure, then we've got Jed Steer who's 23 and has played for Huddersfield in the Championship, and we've got Brad Watkins who will be 22 in September and who's a fairly decent keeper. Sarkic will need to go out on loan to get regular competitive football experience. The point I'm trying to make is that our keepers will be very young and inexperienced, with Gollini being the youngest of the lot of them( apart from Sarkic who will be 19 at the end of this month).

I don't think this is what we need during potentially our most important season ever. Surely either Guzan is staying or another experienced keeper will be coming in to replace him. What do you think?
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:57 pm

On a lighter note have you noticed how similar Elphick and Gollini are? They could be brothers. Is this a look that attracts RDM?
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:13 pm

I've said it before but I'd give a chance to Steer. Would have done last season too had he not been out on loan.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:11 am

Not confirmed yet but lots of reports about him saying how happy he is to join.

Is the guy who takes the official site shirt holding pics on holiday or something?
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:52 am

Ha Ha, I noticed that too, Elphick and Gollina striking resemblence.
Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:49 am

I think we need to see them in the same room at the same time, just to make sure that Dr T isn't pulling a fast one!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum