Speculation/Gossip/Hearsay/My Friends, Dad's Uncle said so Thread

Page 6 of 31 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18 ... 31  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Speculation/Gossip/Hearsay/My Friends, Dad's Uncle said so Thread

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:03 pm

Morddred wrote:The only way we will be able to compete for the league or even a place in the promised land of the top four is if we are sold to someone who is willing to break the FFP rules and spend somewhere in the region of £500 million.
I wouldn't mind that, but only if we can keep our class and soul.
I think I might sell my class and soul, if someone contracted to spend 500 million pounds on the Villa team!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:04 pm

It's an old discussion and just about a cliche now, but even if an oligarch offered a blank cheque I'm not sure I'd be happy to see things like the name of the club, the ground and the colours changed. For me they are all part of what makes our club special and from this thread I know others agree.

It's academic, anyway, as I get the feeling that those who've expressed an interest in buying Villa won't be in that kind of bracket. We can dream though.
Sandie

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:48 pm

Sandie wrote:It's an old discussion and just about a cliche now, but even if an oligarch offered a blank cheque I'm not sure I'd be happy to see things like the name of the club, the ground and the colours changed. For me they are all part of what makes our club special and from this thread I know others agree.

It's academic, anyway, as I get the feeling that those who've expressed an interest in buying Villa won't be in that kind of bracket. We can dream though.
The name of the Club and the colours are sacrosanct, but Villa Park Red Bull Arena, wouldn't bother me if it was a way to drag in really big bucks.

I agree with you though Sandie that this is a purely hypothetical debate, because if we're sold it will almost certainly be to a group of investors looking to cash in on the huge TV and Media income that will be thrown at us soon.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:01 pm

It begs an interesting question on what the landscape of Premiership football means for the sale of the club. As Morddred says, It would take a massive investment to get Villa to the top of the league competing for trophies and we're not likely to get that. What would supporters make of us getting the kind of owners who'll get us to the level of Southampton, not at the top but in the top half regularly with the odd Europa League campaign? It's probably the best we can hope for but will our fans settle for that?

Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:18 pm

Sandie wrote:It begs an interesting question on what the landscape of Premiership football means for the sale of the club. As Morddred says, It would take a massive investment to get Villa to the top of the league competing for trophies and we're not likely to get that. What would supporters make of us getting the kind of owners who'll get us to the level of Southampton, not at the top but in the top half regularly with the odd Europa League campaign? It's probably the best we can hope for but will our fans settle for that?

I would settle for the pragmatic approach of Katharina Liebherr. She doesn't like football, but out of respect for her late father's wishes she's continuing to run his club as he intended.

She understands that in order to thrive you have to identify the right players and then pay big enough money and good wages to get them to her less than big name club.

Randy would still rather buy two players at seven million each, than one at fourteen million. He still doesn't understand that you need a first team which picks itself, rather than four second choice strikers and a bunch of seven million pound prospects spread wide across the squad. He would do well to spend a month or so working alongside Ms. Liebherr to see how to run a football club well, and with a light touch.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:32 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:
Sandie wrote:It begs an interesting question on what the landscape of Premiership football means for the sale of the club. As Morddred says, It would take a massive investment to get Villa to the top of the league competing for trophies and we're not likely to get that. What would supporters make of us getting the kind of owners who'll get us to the level of Southampton, not at the top but in the top half regularly with the odd Europa League campaign? It's probably the best we can hope for but will our fans settle for that?

I would settle for the pragmatic approach of Katharina Liebherr. She doesn't like football, but out of respect for her late father's wishes she's continuing to run his club as he intended.

She understands that in order to thrive you have to identify the right players and then pay big enough money and good wages to get them to her less than big name club.

Randy would still rather buy two players at seven million each, than one at fourteen million. He still doesn't understand that you need a first team which picks itself, rather than four second choice strikers and a bunch of seven million pound prospects spread wide across the squad. He would do well to spend a month or so working alongside Ms. Liebherr to see how to run a football club well, and with a light touch.

Yet he managed to spend 24m on Darren Bent. That was when he was Interested in us though and still had ideas of making us big. He doesn't care now (as in, he wants out, so happy to tread water and stay up, until we're sold) For me it's that simple, mummy has told him to sell, he's sulking about it and going along with it, is torn, but can't really spend and therefore does just enough to protect his investment. The sooner we are sold the better for everyone. Not to anyone though, to the right kind of person/group and this is where I strangely trust RL to get it right. Do you? oh and where's this chairman?

With the Saints talk, Cortese would be a great choice, but what of Mr Fox and his huge salary then?....
GadgetMan
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:54 pm

The problem with Cortese is that he's a banker, and that means he micro managed every square inch of Southampton F.C. That included all the areas that other people had responsibility for. He is an abrasive character and he ended up being hugely disliked by a lot of people he had oversight for.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:59 pm

Having one person do anything seems to be the model we've tried to move away in the past season. We've brought in people to take care of areas under Fox that would have been the responsibility solely of the CEO. We've brought in other people to work with the manager when under MoN the whole lot would have been his responsibility (with some would argue ruinous consequences that lead to Lerner's loss of interest and his determination to run the club on a tighter budget).

As for Bent, I can't work out what that showed? Interest? Or a role of the dice to prevent relegation?
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:18 pm

I am firmly in the belief that the Bent purchase was an £18 mill punt/hedge on staying up.

If we had gone down, we would have sold him on again quickly whilst his stock was still relatively high for either a small loss or break even.
South London Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:10 am

I Think that this is the first year of the whole Randy Lerner tenure, in which AVFC has been run well. We have borught in a few quality additions behind the scens Fox, Charlie W and Henrick A. I think weve started to see progress. Our transfer policy was a lot more aggressive and hopefully this can be continued and improved in terms of spending slightly higher to get key players in. This will take time though as i dont see this money coming from RL's pocket it will come from extra commercial revenue but mainly from players sales. I think we are seeing the start of a buy to sell transfer policy that teams such as spurs as adopted to pretty decent effect over time and more recently Southampton. Like it or not if you having got a sugar daddy chairman then this is one of the only way's to remain competititive or you do it the way everton try to where they spend whatever spare money they have to bring in the best quality they can afford whlst at the same time they desperately try to hold onto their best talent.
Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:48 am

Jim Villan wrote:I Think that this is the first year of the whole Randy Lerner tenure, in which AVFC has been run well. We have borught in a few quality additions behind the scens Fox, Charlie W and Henrick A. I think weve started to see progress. Our transfer policy was a lot more aggressive and hopefully this can be continued and improved in terms of spending slightly higher to get key players in. This will take time though as i dont see this money coming from RL's pocket it will come from extra commercial revenue but mainly from players sales. I think we are seeing the start of a buy to sell transfer policy that teams such as spurs as adopted to pretty decent effect over time and more recently Southampton. Like it or not if you having got a sugar daddy chairman then this is one of the only way's to remain competititive or you do it the way everton try to where they spend whatever spare money they have to bring in the best quality they can afford whlst at the same time they desperately try to hold onto their best talent.
I think we're starting to get it right, but without financial input from the owner we're not going to step up to the Cabaye/Austin/Payet type nailed on first eleven stars. We are going to continue to have conversations over which player is slightly better than another player for some positions, instead of that player clearly picking himself.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:43 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:
Jim Villan wrote:I Think that this is the first year of the whole Randy Lerner tenure, in which AVFC has been run well. We have borught in a few quality additions behind the scens Fox, Charlie W and Henrick A. I think weve started to see progress. Our transfer policy was a lot more aggressive and hopefully this can be continued and improved in terms of spending slightly higher to get key players in. This will take time though as i dont see this money coming from RL's pocket it will come from extra commercial revenue but mainly from players sales. I think we are seeing the start of a buy to sell transfer policy that teams such as spurs as adopted to pretty decent effect over time and more recently Southampton. Like it or not if you having got a sugar daddy chairman then this is one of the only way's to remain competititive or you do it the way everton try to where they spend whatever spare money they have to bring in the best quality they can afford whlst at the same time they desperately try to hold onto their best talent.
I think we're starting to get it right, but without financial input from the owner we're not going to step up to the Cabaye/Austin/Payet type nailed on first eleven stars. We are going to continue to have conversations over which player is slightly better than another player for some positions, instead of that player clearly picking himself.

Without RL's cash we will struggle, the next set of accounts, are bleak and not what was hoped for (afraid you'll have to trust me, as not available yet) What is clear is we still have much to do on the commercial side of things to justify the hefty salaries being paid to Fox and Charlie W (I can't spell his surname ha) So either one or two of our new recruits shine and get sold for a hefty profit, we get sold, or RL will HAVE to dip into his pockets as we're still really far away from being competitive without his cash (which to my knowledge, isn't going to be forthcoming, mummy has stopped it all)
GadgetMan
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:24 pm

Find it odd that a team who have sold a number of first team stars and getting record levels of TV money will have bleak accounts. Something else going on? Drops in ticket sales? Drops in commercial revenue?
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:59 pm

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/aston-villa-lost-in-supermarket.html

This is the best article I've found about AVFC's recent financial history. It makes you wonder how different things might have been if people like Fox/Almstadt had been brought in when Lerner first bought the club.

I tend to gloss over loans and equity, because RL set up a number of RAL companies to make owning AVFC tax efficient. RL owns Villa 100%, so he is only moving his own money (and that of the family trust) from one pocket to another.
If you've been told that the club's annual finances for 2014/15 are bleak, then I find that mind boggling. Swingeing wage bill cuts have been made, our turnover is as high as it's ever been and controlled investment in new players has meant that our net spend is once again one of the lowest in the league. I can only assume that our creative accounting team have excelled themselves.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan on Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:41 pm

How old is Mrs Lerner senior?
South London Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down