Speculation/Gossip/Hearsay/My Friends, Dad's Uncle said so Thread

Page 5 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 31  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Speculation/Gossip/Hearsay/My Friends, Dad's Uncle said so Thread

Post by Sandie on Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:58 pm

GadgetMan wrote:Re Gabby, I posted on the Match Thread he posted "Lot's of villa fans get their wish, time to.....with several "blowing smoke emojis" that was deleted. I personally hope he's off. I've heard enough stories from people I trust implicitly that there aren't many inside football with much good to say about him as a person or footballer. Certainly not Mr Aston Villa as seen by some.

People point to him being a loyal servant, imo that's only as no one has wanted him and prepared to pay what we have. He'd off been off in a shot if one of the bigger teams had come in like they did for Young, Downing etc!

That's pretty much my stance too. I've heard some stories about him too. As for all the stuff about him being bleeding claret and blue, I've heard as many people saying that Gabby did not like football or was a mad Arsenal fan when he was young. I respect him for his contribution to Villa over the years, though. I'd also love for him to take stock of why he might be out of the team and fight back to be the Gabby of six, seven years ago. I just don't think he has the knack or the love for the game to do that.

If we want rid of Gabby our problem will be that new deal he was handed. It means if he decides to sit tight on it he's ours until 2018. That and the fact I don't see a tremendous level of interest from other clubs mean that he'll be with us for a long time to come.
Sandie

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:02 pm

Knighty5 wrote:Aaron Lennon rumour again, can't happen can it....hope not.

Never really been a fan of Lennon. He's never really had much end product and he's not really a player from a position we're weak in. Thankfully, I think it's just a lazy link between an obviously out of the picture Spurs player and his former manager.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan on Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:35 pm

, Lescott and Amavi . I think that would be a very balanced defence and would be the best weve had since Young Mellberg Larson and Bouma.

Last edited by Jim Villan on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:23 pm

Jim Villan wrote:If we sign Lescott before the window closes then that could potentially give us a defense of Richards Okore Lescott amavi   I think thats got a bit of everything about and would be a better defines then we've had in years.

If TS could somehow be convinced to play Richards at RB that would be a great defence. Would give us a chance of not shipping ridiculously soft goals every game too JV
GadgetMan
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bald Eagle on Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:32 am

Sandie wrote:
GadgetMan wrote:Re Gabby, I posted on the Match Thread he posted "Lot's of villa fans get their wish, time to.....with several "blowing smoke emojis" that was deleted. I personally hope he's off. I've heard enough stories from people I trust implicitly that there aren't many inside football with much good to say about him as a person or footballer. Certainly not Mr Aston Villa as seen by some.

People point to him being a loyal servant, imo that's only as no one has wanted him and prepared to pay what we have. He'd off been off in a shot if one of the bigger teams had come in like they did for Young, Downing etc!

That's pretty much my stance too. I've heard some stories about him too. As for all the stuff about him being bleeding claret and blue, I've heard as many people saying that Gabby did not like football or was a mad Arsenal fan when he was young. I respect him for his contribution to Villa over the years, though. I'd also love for him to take stock of why he might be out of the team and fight back to be the Gabby of six, seven years ago. I just don't think he has the knack or the love for the game to do that.

If we want rid of Gabby our problem will be that new deal he was handed. It means if he decides to sit tight on it he's ours until 2018. That and the fact I don't see a tremendous level of interest from other clubs mean that he'll be with us for a long time to come.

I heard from someone who knows Alex McLeish that he once said to Gabby that if he improved his game that he could end up at somewhere like Man Utd. Gabby replied along the lines of why should he bother with that. McLeish's conclusions was that Gabby has no ambition. Fair enough, he would be slagged if he left for a club like that, but there is no doubt that he is too comfortable drawing an easy wage at the Villa. He has been named as the ringleader behind at least two sackings and had an audience of players who were in awe of him. Most of the newcomers don't know him from Adam so his period of player power has come to an end. Most rumours of trouble at BMH, in recent years, involve him. He supposedly has a group with him in the Players Lounge that are most unsavoury characters. In my opinion, it is time for him to leave the club and to stop holding it back.
The Bald Eagle
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelleen on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:58 am

The Bald Eagle wrote:
Sandie wrote:

I heard from someone who knows Alex McLeish that he once said to Gabby that if he improved his game that he could end up at somewhere like Man Utd. Gabby replied along the lines of why should he bother with that. McLeish's conclusions was that Gabby has no ambition. Fair enough, he would be slagged if he left for a club like that, but there is no doubt that he is too comfortable drawing an easy wage at the Villa. He has been named as the ringleader behind at least two sackings and had an audience of players who were in awe of him. Most of the newcomers don't know him from Adam so his period of player power has come to an end. Most rumours of trouble at BMH, in recent years, involve him. He supposedly has a group with him in the Players Lounge that are most unsavoury characters. In my opinion, it is time for him to leave the club and to stop holding it back.

It's for this reasoning it's imperative sherwood keeps him onside until it's time for him to part company with the club. Although it feels like that'll never happen.

Joelleen
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:30 am

Joelleen wrote:
The Bald Eagle wrote:
Sandie wrote:

It's for this reasoning it's imperative sherwood keeps him onside until it's time for him to part company with the club. Although it feels like that'll never happen.
Lambert and McLeish weren't exactly strong dominant characters, Sherwood is. I think Tim will have had a quiet word with Gabby about "it's my way or the highway" while bringing him onboard with the Ambassadorial 'Club Captain' role.

I see an impact sub role for him in the future, so he'll be paid very well for a fairly stress free life if he behaves himself.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:59 am

So, what about the takeover?
What do we know?
What do we think?
Will it happen?
South London Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:24 pm

South London Villan wrote:So, what about the takeover?
What do we know?
What do we think?
Will it happen?
I think Tom Fox is a very persuasive character, and he may well have become a 'Svengali' type figure to Randy Lerner. It was in TF's own considerable interest to persuade RL that now was not the time to sell, as if AVFC is sensibly and professionally run from now on it can only increase in both income and value. Fox get's to be in sole charge of an iconic football club, and Randy gets his money back and more on a steady basis.

I don't have any hard facts, but it occurs to me that the supposed two deals that broke down in two years, may have been down to Randy vacillating between selling and staying, possibly causing him to move the goalposts and tighten up his view on the suitability of new owners.

I don't think we will see a new owner any time soon, unless Lerner receives an offer he simply can't refuse .... but that's just my own personal opinion.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morddred on Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:35 pm

I think we will only find out when it is a done deal, they will be tighter than a ducks bum on this one.
Morddred
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:12 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:I think Tom Fox is a very persuasive character, and he may well have become a 'Svengali' type figure to Randy Lerner. It was in TF's own considerable interest to persuade RL that now was not the time to sell, as if AVFC is sensibly and professionally run from now on it can only increase in both income and value. Fox get's to be in sole charge of an iconic football club, and Randy gets his money back and more on a steady basis.

I think this is where we are at for now. After five seasons of relegation struggle we were hardly the most compelling prospect to a prospective purchaser. If we perform well we are an easier sale and might even fetch a higher price. I think that guys like Fox, Wijeratna also want to raise revenues to allow us to increase spending and a more pleasant balance sheet will obviously help. The big unknown in all of this is Lerner. He's a distant and private figure and it would be a very smart man who could read his mind from what little we see and hear from him. I get the feeliing that we wouldn't be trying to be so financially sustainable if Lerner was completely turned away from a sale. Selling a premier league club isn't easy. Everton have been for sale for ages and a deal for West Brom seemingly failed in the summer so with the club's tightness with info could mean anything has been going on in the background.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:49 pm

Sandie wrote:
villabromsgrove wrote:I think Tom Fox is a very persuasive character, and he may well have become a 'Svengali' type figure to Randy Lerner. It was in TF's own considerable interest to persuade RL that now was not the time to sell, as if AVFC is sensibly and professionally run from now on it can only increase in both income and value. Fox get's to be in sole charge of an iconic football club, and Randy gets his money back and more on a steady basis.

I think this is where we are at for now. After five seasons of relegation struggle we were hardly the most compelling prospect to a prospective purchaser. If we perform well we are an easier sale and might even fetch a higher price. I think that guys like Fox, Wijeratna also want to raise revenues to allow us to increase spending and a more pleasant balance sheet will obviously help. The big unknown in all of this is Lerner. He's a distant and private figure and it would be a very smart man who could read his mind from what little we see and hear from him. I get the feeliing that we wouldn't be trying to be so financially sustainable if Lerner was completely turned away from a sale. Selling a premier league club isn't easy. Everton have been for sale for ages and a deal for West Brom seemingly failed in the summer so with the club's tightness with info could mean anything has been going on in the background.

Two good posts here. I've gleaned a little info over the course of the summer (obviously it's second/third hand info, so bear that in mind) It would seem it is a little of what VB says (TF convincing RL now's not the time) a bit of RL messing people about (there was a definite bid on the table this summer, a couple if you believe other reports) and possibly a bit of RL rebelling (word is his mum wants him to sell, along with the rest of the trust) maybe part of him doesn't want to be TOLD to sell, so there's a part of him that makes it so impossible to deal with him (reports of him not answering his phone/emails from the bank etc) that people give up and he's not 'that' upset. This is me adding a bit of info given and then wildly speculating with the rest (him perhaps sabotaging deals is pure speculation on my part) Very Happy

I do think he's torn, as are potential buyers, great club, decent asking price, prestige in owning an EPL team, BUT a lot of investment and time is needed if you want to make cash. You can tick over and make very small gains by doing what we've done this year -selling our best players and buying potential and so on so forth, whilst using the TV money and other commercial income to run the club. So there's the dilemma, by a club and tick over at little cost/risk, but also little reward OR Go for it and spend a fortune with no guarantee of the likely rewards.

Throw all that into the mix and as already stated, it's not easy to sell an EPL club. I watch with interest though (I mentioned this on another thread) RL did say he'd sell or appoint a Chairman and until that happens, there's always a chance something is afoot, in my eyes anyway..
GadgetMan
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:18 pm

Our squad is currently valued at about 125 million pounds. Selling an iconic cub like Aston Villa for 150 million makes no sense, when you consider that income will probably be about 170 million in the 2016/17 season! Lerner would be mad to sell, as long as we stay away from the relegation zone.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:59 pm

Interesting theory. There's a bumper TV deal looming (we got £76million in TV money in the last accounts, from 2016/17 even the bottom club will get £99million) and Lerner's probably had Fox and co in his ear about how they can otherwise increase revenues. With a modest net spend, wages I imagine staying level our balance sheet will ultimately have a much more positive look to it. This has a couple of effects. It'll make the club easier to sell and worth more but it will also give Lerner the opportunity to recoup some of what are I imagine are pretty big losses he's made over his time at the club. This will obviously affect his attitude towards a sale.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morddred on Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:32 pm

The only way we will be able to compete for the league or even a place in the promised land of the top four is if we are sold to someone who is willing to break the FFP rules and spend somewhere in the region of £500 million.
I wouldn't mind that, but only if we can keep our class and soul.
Morddred
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 31  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum