Who's next?

Page 6 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Who's next?

Post by Sandie on Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:18 pm

I don't think there will be that much money in it. They would need to be mad.
Sandie

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:02 pm

If there really is a takeover in the offing, it means everything will be up in the air with regard to the next manager. Surely a prospective new owner would want their own choice of manager?

One complication is that there's now a vacancy at Celtic. Would Moyes see the Scottish league as a better option than restoring Aston Villa. I doubt it, but if we haven't spoken to him yet...
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:58 pm

Moyes refusing to make a decision until the Summer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36099160

With things how they are at Villa Park this might be good news for us. Like I say above, you would have to be mad to take the job now with the boardroom turmoil and ill-feeling. This from Moyes at least means he won't take another job, like Celtic, in the meantime and any subsequent events at Villa might just tempt him our way.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan on Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:42 pm

Good Point Sandy, regarding Moyes waiting till summer playing into our hands....... IF there is a Takeover in the offing. Moyes and a new owner would definitely be reason to start looking forward again!
Jim Villan
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:36 pm

I agree Moyes and a new owner would be a good combo. Oddly though takeover or no takeover, I think Pearson could work, given our status in the Championship and his ability to operate in that league. Either for me, or Dyche.
GadgetMan
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:29 pm

Without a takeover I think we would need one of those managers who can extract miracles from a limited budget. Pearson may be one, I never really followed his jobs in the Championship so can't say. I would say that Mick McCarthy is an underrated bet. He's kept Ipswich in and around the play offs the last few seasons with a budget of sod all.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:07 pm

Sandie wrote:Without a takeover I think we would need one of those managers who can extract miracles from a limited budget. Pearson may be one, I never really followed his jobs in the Championship so can't say. I would say that Mick McCarthy is an underrated bet. He's kept Ipswich in and around the play offs the last few seasons with a budget of sod all.

He's a risk (Pearson) as he's not got a great PR track record, so could be a potential nightmare, however he won the Championship with Leicester, on a small budget, but then last year they nearly got relegated, if it wasn't for that incredible surge, they would have. Was that it all coming together and clicking through or luck? That's a big ? over Pearson. Definitely qualified for a Championship club, we're a big Championship club though, so who knows. I would really not want McCarthy, just personal preference, he's done a good job at Ipswich, but take a read what a lot of fans say about him (Ipswich and Wolves fans) No thank you.

Dyche would be a solid pick. Confident, smart, works with a budget, has done wonders with Burnley having lost his main striker. I'd take him quite happily over Bruce, McCarthy etc! When we appointed Taylor, he left promoted Watford and came down to Div 2 to manage us. Maybe others would do the same.

Moyes is still the stand out candidate, I just get the feeling he's waiting to get the Everton job if/when Martinez gets sacked.

He's another name Brendan Rodgers, would he fancy getting back into management at Villa or will he have bigger suitors?

All depends on whether we're a RL lead struggling Championship club or a *Insert name* owned club, with fresh impetus and vigor, as well as appeal.

GadgetMan
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:44 pm

It all depends on whether there's a takeover and what the new owner's intentions are. A takeover might be the thing to tempt someone like Rodgers to take a Championship role.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:07 am

Another set of talks with Pearson? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3559636/Aston-Villa-set-second-round-talks-Nigel-Pearson-manager-search-continues.html
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:46 pm

I was thinking today. I'd quite like the chap at Watford 'Flores' done a superb job imo not sure what has gone on there, but a parting of ways looks inevitable, we could do a lot worse than him. Plays lovely stuff and has took a very average Watford team out of the Championship and added some great buys to help them overachieve.

Much prefer him over Bruce and McCarthy, thoughts?
GadgetMan
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:33 pm

He's an certainly an interesting option. He's done well there and even has experience in that division. Agree he would be a better choice than a Bruce or McCarthy (at least assuming a takeover happens).

Another left field option would be Martinez. He looks to be on borrowed time at Everton and we've tried in the past to get him.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:17 am

I love Martinez. He's a real student of football, and likes to entertain. But .... is he strong enough as a man manager? There have been rumours that the players are divided, and their commitment isn't at the level you would expect from a "Moye's" type Everton team.

Flores has been a breath of fresh air at Watford, but has he run out of ideas to motivate his heavily weighted "foreign" squad? He won't need any more motivation for his next match, than "we're playing Villa this weekend'!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:49 am

villabromsgrove wrote:I love Martinez. He's a real student of football, and likes to entertain. But .... is he strong enough as a man manager? There have been rumours that the players are divided, and their commitment isn't at the level you would expect from a "Moye's" type Everton team.

Flores has been a breath of fresh air at Watford, but has he run out of ideas to motivate his heavily weighted "foreign" squad? He won't need any more motivation for his next match, than "we're playing Villa this weekend'!

If we chant his name, RL will go and appoint him anyway haha!! As for Martinez. I think you're right, he does seemingly lack the strength of character to really push on. I feel the task at Villa is too big for him, could be said of many a manager, which is why Moyes and Pearson are possibly the standout candidates. Both strong men, able to build a club and work in the Championship (Moyes not so recently though)

Another name that has completely being ignored by all is Brendan Rodgers? What would we think to him? I think he'd do really well in this role, but think he will want an 'easier' challenge for his next role and will probably go back to Swansea or abroad. I could also see Moyes having a fond return to Everton (Although they're linked to Hughes)

As we don't know who is going to buy us and who's involved with the owner and board, not to mention what their ambitions and influence are like, it's pretty difficult to pick a manager.

My view is regardless of whose incoming (as owner) we have one immediate aim and that's to get back to the EPL, so for me the candidates above, Pearson, Moyes and Rodgers all fit the bill, whatever the owner. We may see a situation similar to when MON came in, where by the deal is that close that the new incoming owners agree to the manager and we go and get him before the sale is complete.

Interesting times ahead. We may be rubbish but we're not dull off the field haha!!
GadgetMan
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:02 pm

It's definitely not going to dull over the next few weeks. Right or wrong, there's going to be plenty of debate about "happenings" at Villa.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:43 pm

I like Martinez too, hence suggesting him. My issue would be that his teams always end up being poor defensively. When he was at Wigan they made many schoolboy errors and so his Everton team are continuing that.

Rodgers is a good shout. I'm not his biggest fan but really after the managers we've had this season he starts to look appealing. I also think part of the problem he had at Liverpool was that he carried the can for signing some right dross. That was when Paddy Riley was there...

That said, I think Rodgers would fancy himself for a Premier League role. Maybe the idea of building Villa back up from the Championship would appeal though.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum