Who's next?

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Who's next?

Post by villabromsgrove on Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:16 pm

Sandie wrote:That's a good question. For me, we require stability more than anything else. We need a manager to come in and stop the rot. We needed that last time round and we brought in a manager with no experience of the division or a troubled dressing room with predictable results. Karl Robinson and Eddie Howe share one thing. They both knew the clubs (and vice versa) they were at with Robinson having been an assistant manager and Howe being a player so they didn't really need to be discovered.
I take your point about the home grown aspect of the two managers you mention. Another problem that they possibly haven't had to deal with is "player power". We have a number of lazy and arrogant players (in my opinion of course) and they will need the very strong hand of a "tough" manager. It's a different skill set to usual, and one where (sadly) a manager like Pearson has the edge.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:52 pm

I'm starting to think that Sean Dyche may be our best option. If we made him the right offer, and of course agreed a full support package with him. It would be just another day at the office for him when he arrived at BMH because current experience of your environment could be essential.

I love the idea of a rejuvenated Moyes, but it's all very quiet in his direction. You never know though.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:45 pm

I think the only way we will get Dyche is if they drop out of the automatic promotion places (Middlesborough and Brighton are hard on their tail) and they then miss out in the playoffs. I think he would be reluctant to leave with them going up as he will probably be too loyal to leave. I'd also wonder if he's someone with experience of troubled dressing rooms? We need someone with that to sort our problems.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:57 pm

Sandie wrote:I think the only way we will get Dyche is if they drop out of the automatic promotion places (Middlesborough and Brighton are hard on their tail) and they then miss out in the playoffs. I think he would be reluctant to leave with them going up as he will probably be too loyal to leave. I'd also wonder if he's someone with experience of troubled dressing rooms? We need someone with that to sort our problems.
I've asked myself the question "which is the biggest job", Burnley in the Premier League or Aston Villa in the Championship? I know I'm seriously biased, but it would have to be Villa by a distance wouldn't it? If you look at Dyche's management career, he had a season at Watford and now he's had four seasons at Burnley. If they're promoted again at the end of this season Sean must surely be realistic enough to recognise that another season of relegation battles looms.

I wonder whether we could be an exciting new challenge for him?
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:31 pm

I agree with it being the bigger job but there's other factors to be considered. First, his personal loyalty to the club is a factor when they retained him as manager after relegation and backed him with funds to make an immediate return. He seems like a loyal guy to me. Second, keeping a small club like Burnley in the PL is a challenge and he might see himself wanting to take that up. Lastly, he will obviously know and get along with the people running Burnley. Would he be prepared to leave that comfortable relationship in exchange for working with Randy Lerner (however detached he is) when Villa have a track record of braking promises to managers, hanging them out to dry then sacking them? I'm not saying things will be the same with the new boards but what matters is how it would look from the outside.

Leaving all that aside, just because I'm sat here thinking he'll turn it down doesn't mean I don't think we should ask the question. I do think a factor will be when we want to make an appointment, though. My feeling is that if we wanted Dyche and he wanted to come it would almost certainly need to be dealt with in the summer. In fact, with Burnley's current title and promotion challenge being the focus of his attention I'd say he probably wouldn't even be prepared to discuss leaving until the end of the season.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:14 pm

I'm sure your last paragraph is correct Sandie, I don't know what Dyche would think about an offer at the end of the season. If he turned us down we would have wasted weeks. Which is why I think if we were interested in "waiting" for him, it would only be after a very hush hush chat with his agent to see if we were in fact wasting our valuable time.

When I said about Dyche walking into the job as though nothing had changed for him personally, I was thinking about things like the priceless up to date dossiers on each Championship team. His day to day knowledge would be up to speed on day one, and that could make a big difference.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:44 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:When I said about Dyche walking into the job as though nothing had changed for him personally, I was thinking about things like the priceless up to date dossiers on each Championship team. His day to day knowledge would be up to speed on day one, and that could make a big difference.

That's a good point. Dyche (and the likes of McCarthy and Bruce who are prominent in the betting) will have up-to-date knowledge of the Championship and the teams in it which other contenders like Moyes (who has only managed in the top division) won't.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:18 pm

Black's short time in charge is doing further damage to us. The football board need to get a move on with their deliberations.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:02 pm

I think the current situation isn't helping us and it isn't helping him. He probably didn't even want to be interim manager of a PL club but has been thrust into the limelight.

Will we tie up a manager between now and the end of the season though? Or will we wait until the season is over with?
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Harte on Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:16 pm

I'm hoping the former, Sandie, preferably after our fate is sealed mathematically so they don't have the stigma of being in charge when it happened.

I fear that it'll be the latter, though.

Chris Harte
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:23 pm

I don't blame Black, he's clearly trying to protect his own reputation by being cautious, but it's not what we need.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:43 pm

I agree. The mood of the fanbase is still somewhat dark and seeing players like Lescott, Bacuna and Richardson play every weekend is only rubbing the disaster of this season in our faces. Black wants out of there and probably has no idea what to do between now and being set free.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:44 pm

Our biggest investment in the next two to three seasons should be our new manager. The football board have some impressive brains between them, so I wonder what are their collective thoughts.

I've previously said that Eddie Howe would not be interested, but would that be true if he were offered a package and support worthy of the huge challenge? I wonder if Bernstein thinks that everyone has their price if you can make it attractive enough for them?

villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:32 pm

I have a feeling we are more likely to pursue a cheap appointment, sadly.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:49 pm

Sandie wrote:I have a feeling we are more likely to pursue a cheap appointment, sadly.
I wonder? Bernstein and King know that you don't get results unless you get the basic structure right. The manager and his coaching team are the keystone to this building job.

Randy might want "cheap", but Bernstein will want the best available candidate. David Bernstein has had a stellar career, and he won't risk his excellent reputation (in my opinion) on getting his last high profile job wrong.

I think that discrete "feelers" are being put out to ascertain what it would take to get the right man.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum