Who's next?

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Who's next?

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:48 pm

Sandie wrote:I like Bruce and think he'd be a good choice in trying to return the club to the top flight but with this disconnect between fans and club and the toxicity that exists now it would be a mistake to appoint him.
It's true unfortunately, and we simply cannot afford to make another mistake.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:40 am

http://talksport.com/football/dwight-yorke-tells-talksport-i-want-aston-villa-job-and-i-have-sir-alex-fergusons-backing?

Has Sir Alex got something against Aston Villa? First he recommends Alex McCleish, then he endorses Dwight Yorke. He must be having a laugh!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:09 am

I've been thinking about Bernstein's comment's about the football board taking their time to talk to and assess lots of candidates.

Why?

If we assume that the football board have already considered and assessed the available managers such as Moyes, Pearson, Rodgers, Monk etc, any further time taken would indicate that they are also considering managers currently in a job or dare we say it .... looking for a cheaper option.

Dyche, McCarthy, Rowett, Pulis etc. Out of the list of "in work" managers Dyche would be the only one who I believe could come in and do the kind of job we need done, but his success in the Premier is not yet quantifiable. Would he do it better than Moyes for example? If we add in the question of compensation for in work managers are any of them worth paying a sizeable fee for, when Moyes is currently available with no compensation? Fair enough Moye's financial package would be the biggest of any of the candidates, but surely we can't be penny pinching over the most important appointment that we will make in the next few years.

What does the "taking time" scenario indicate to you guys?

Does the need to be "patient and take our time" rest on Moyes not being convinced with the terms and conditions offered by Villa? Or is a genuine attempt to leave no stone unturned in the pursuit of excellence?
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:21 am

Just one more thought on "taking time". Could it be that we have agreed terms with our new manager, and are waiting until we are officially relegated before making the announcement?
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:33 pm

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-eric-black-hired-11139444?

This appointment would seem to indicate that we're going to wait until the end of the season before we appoint a new manager. Does this mean we've discounted the available options? If we haven't it would seem risky to allow a manager of the calibre of Moyes to remain open to offers by Premier clubs at the end of the season.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:40 pm

I've said before that there could be an element of them wanting a manager to start with a clean slate. As things stand, the fans are up in arms and the atmosphere is becoming toxic, the players are a bunch of unprofessional and impossible to motivate wasters and as a consequence the new manager would be walking into a very difficult situation. The almost inevitable continuation of our bad results would see the manager becoming tainted by association.

Wouldn't it be better if a new manager came into the club at the end of the season, expunged the dead wood and had the summer to build positivity rather than heading into the close season under a cloud? The manager in question could even be privately be appointed now and be playing a watching brief drawing his conclusions on our existing players. Chelsea, for example, have appointed Conte now but he won't take over until the Summer so it's not exactly unusual for this to happen.

I think it is only right that we weigh up all our options with this appointment in a marked contrast with the Fox/Almstadt/Riley era. Sherwood was drawn from the infamous 'shortlist of one' and I'd not be surprised if we failed to adequately weigh up our options ahead of the Garde appointment too. Taking our time over an appointment is not necessarily waiting until the end of the season. We have a five week head start on that to come to a decision and weighing up options won't take up all that time.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:38 pm

I hope the extra time taken is used to get the very best candidate, rather than the cheapest "experienced" option.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:56 pm

Lazy link between club looking for a new manager and a manager who's rumoured to not have signed a new deal: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wales-boss-chris-coleman-eyed-7694552

Coleman has impressed as Wales manager and was a reasonable manager for Fulham, though they were pretty bland to watch under his stewardship. Don't see him as the man for us.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:13 pm

Sandie wrote:Lazy link between club looking for a new manager and a manager who's rumoured to not have signed a new deal: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wales-boss-chris-coleman-eyed-7694552

Coleman has impressed as Wales manager and was a reasonable manager for Fulham, though they were pretty bland to watch under his stewardship. Don't see him as the man for us.
Coleman is an example of a decent manager but the wrong fit for Villa. He does not tick anywhere near enough boxes.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:15 pm

Aye, I'd want someone more experienced. And Coleman has always seemed like a nice, decent guy. I want someone to put the fear of god into any of the wasters we can't get rid of.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:54 pm

Sandie wrote:Aye, I'd want someone more experienced. And Coleman has always seemed like a nice, decent guy. I want someone to put the fear of god into any of the wasters we can't get rid of.
I agree, we should be looking for experience with strength, gravitas, discipline and integrity as key qualities in our next manager.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:15 pm

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/aston-villa/next-permanent-manager

There's an old truism that the bookies don't often get it wrong. If we believe that saying, then the bookies believe we're looking for a short term appointment, because none of the favourites except for Moyes have shown that they can successfully manage in the Premier League, if and when we are promoted.

Apart from Moyes, no prospective manager has had experience of running a reasonably successful Premier team over a period of time.

Pearson had an electric run of games to keep Leicester up, but then at the beginning of this season was always a couple of games away from a sacking due to his strange behaviour. Appointing Pearson would be a roller coaster ride. It might be exciting, but it could well end up leaving us feeling sick.

Bruce and McCarthy are both good football men, but their level is that of a decent Championship manager, as Warnock honestly said about himself yesterday.

Coleman and Southgate are again nice guys and the occasional international matches probably suit them better than the sleeves rolled up nitty gritty grind of day to day club management.

Dyche is the only stand out candidate who is perhaps worth waiting for. He ultimately failed to keep Burnley in the Premier League, but it was never the intention of that club to spend money when they got promoted. Hence the 30 million profit that they've recently announced. If Burnley are promoted Dyche may still fancy the real challenge of picking up Villa and trying to turn us around. We would still be stepping into the unknown if he joined us, but I think he has possibly the "stand out" qualities that could get the job done.

So, my summing up of our candidates leaves just two men standing .... it's either ....

Appoint Moyes now .... been there, done it got the tee shirt, and still has something to prove after his last couple of seasons.

Appoint Dyche at the end of the season, assuming he'll give up another season struggling to survive in the Premier, in order to try and make a name for himself with Villa.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:38 pm

Interesting to note that Moyes has drifted somewhat too. Might be worth a sneaky tenner at 6-1.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:29 pm

I can understand Bernstein and co leaving no stone unturned in a search to unearth the next Eddie Howe. It may be Gary Rowett, it may be Karl Robinson although the Dons have struggled this season, it may be one of a number of lower league managers. Are we looking to take a risk again? If so, should we?
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:15 pm

That's a good question. For me, we require stability more than anything else. We need a manager to come in and stop the rot. We needed that last time round and we brought in a manager with no experience of the division or a troubled dressing room with predictable results. Karl Robinson and Eddie Howe share one thing. They both knew the clubs (and vice versa) they were at with Robinson having been an assistant manager and Howe being a player so they didn't really need to be discovered.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: