No game: No pain?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

No game: No pain?

Post by Sandie on Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:14 am

Having a bit of trouble sleeping tonight and as I was running over lots of random idle thoughts I came to a Villa related question. Due to our FA Cup exit, we are spared the angst of watching Villa play this weekend. With this season being one of such tremendous disappointment is this something to be happy about or a disappointment?

There are a lot of possible arguments I can anticipate. On one side, for some people it will be a blessed relief. They won't have to endure two hours of what is, more often than not this season, abject misery from our players. On the other hand, watching or following the Villa is a weekly ritual for so many of us that, if there isn't a game, the weekend ends up feeling a little bit empty. Another argument on the against side that a mate made earlier this week was that it was a pain there not being a game as frankly the sooner this season is over the better.

My stance surprises me. For a long time, a Villa-less weekend has felt wrong. I despise international breaks, I chomp at the bit for the start of each season and if we miss out a weekend due to cup disappointment I'm pissed off as it means it is, once again, not our year for the cup. Not this season. Frankly, I'm seeing the lack of a Villa game to be a blessed relief. Even though I have reached the point that I can no longer reach new lows of disappointment or became particularly angry whatever our performance level a break from it is just so welcome. A weekend without watching a blatantly unfit Gabby toil, a weekend without seeing Micah Richards end up in any position on the pitch other than he needs to be at any given point and a weekend without Joleon Lescott having too many opportunities to make an arse out of himself on social media. It's all so blissful.

Will you be missing us play this weekend?
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: No game: No pain?

Post by Chris Harte on Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:31 am

I will miss us playing this weekend, incredibly.

Considering how poor they've been I will miss us not playing. And that feeling probably made worse by the fact I just realised that our home game against Everton isn't this coming Tuesday, but the one after.

Chris Harte
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:53 pm

I'm relieved that we've got a Villa free weekend. Last weekend left me feeling shocked and down, even though it had a feeling of inevitability about it. I've got a great weekend planned, and I don't need Villa ruining it for me and my family. I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's how I feel at the moment.

It's really tough loving Aston Villa, while hating nearly everything about it at the moment!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:11 pm

I don't have an interesting weekend lined up but hoovering up the cobwebs in the difficult to reach corners of the house will probably be more interesting than watching Aston Villa. Definitely less painful.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:14 pm

We used to talk about Villa for hours on end in my house. Now no one wants to talk about it. It feels almost as though we're being disloyal, but we tend to avoid making ourselves miserable by mentioning the V word.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:03 pm

I've had a great day so far, with no football. I've been out and bought some chickens with my daughter in law, and they're safe and sound in their new posh house. Fox had better stay away! Very Happy

Now I'm just preparing for a Karaoke party and the food and drink is all lined up. I don't know any of the FA cup results, and it doesn't matter.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:02 pm

I've had a decent day too, house looks great for all the hoovering too. Only just catching up on scores now. It's enough to make you wish for more Villa-free weekends.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:27 pm

Sandie wrote:I've had a decent day too, house looks great for all the hoovering too. Only just catching up on scores now. It's enough to make you wish for more Villa-free weekends.
We'll have more Villa fixtures next season, but will we be watching them?
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:56 pm

It's going to become quite difficult to get a stream for a lot of them isn't it? Of course, with TV companies showing more championship games than ever this season and us being down there being such a big story we might, perversely, end up on the TV more often than we are this season. Sadly, it will mean anything but a 3 o'clock Saturday kick off.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:52 pm

I wonder whether Randy will be bright enough to drop prices dramatically to get a decent crowd in?
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:54 pm

Either frozen or modestly increased because we have four extra games, I'd say.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Sandie wrote:Either frozen or modestly increased because we have four extra games, I'd say.
The Championship will be hard enough, and without a good crowd behind us we'll find it doubly difficult. Dramatic ticket price cutting is a simple but effective way of getting support, and despite the apparent evidence to the contrary Lerner can afford it. He can then raise prices the year after if he's totally committed to getting out of the Championship at the end of next season. If we fail to bounce back Randy will be in a whole new world of hurt!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:25 pm

Of course, but do you really expect this lot to do something so sensible?
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:26 pm

Sandie wrote:Of course, but do you really expect this lot to do something so sensible?
Therein lies the problem!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum