The Championship

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Championship

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:01 pm

The Championship sounds quite impressive doesn't it. I tend to refer to it as Division 2 (to keep a sense of perspective), which is what it actually is. It's a world away from the Premier League, and the prize money is laughably small.

How do you feel about the fact that barring an absolute miracle the second division will be our home next season. In my opinion there are no positives about losing our Premier status, but since it's going to happen what's your take on playing in a lower league in a few months time?
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Championship

Post by Sandie on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:36 pm

I agree that there are very few positives to relegation (I can only really think of the idea of having the chance to see us win some games for once and getting to visit a few new away grounds) but at least we have plenty of time to get used to the idea of the negatives.

First thing we have to learn to live with is the drops in revenue. We will be kissing goodbye to £100million in TV money next season (compared to probably £60-70million from the current season) and hello to lower crowds, lower ticket prices and reduced commercial revenue. I think our income will be reduced by more than half. On the costs side, nearly all off our players will be on relegation clauses which mean our wagebill will be reduced but I suspect we will still make a substantial loss from being in the Championship.

I remember you saying, in jest, that the Championship was desirable to Lerner as it was a better value league. I really don't think so. Most Championship clubs run at a loss and sometimes even end up making transfer deals in excess of what Lerner has been doing in the Premiership. Middlesborough have spent £11million on Jordan Rhodes when their turnover is less than £20million. Fulham spent nearly that much on Ross McCormick. I think after putting us through this if Lerner had any decency he'd stomach a bit of a financial hit next season to fund a promotion race keeping most of the players (albeit on reduced wages) and bringing in a few new faces who can excel at that level. However, it's much more likely to be another season of even deeper austerity.
Sandie

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:21 pm

I think we have two seasons at the most to succeed in winning promotion back to the Premier League. If we're still there in three seasons time we become part of the furniture and a forgotten club.

A lot of things need to be changed to have any chance of success, and I don't believe that we currently have the correct people on the board to oversee this critical period for Villa. Will the personnel change? Probably not as the gang of four has now become a gang of five, and this small group has become almost incestuous in keeping the power within "the family".

To begin with the novelty of new venues and different opposition will provide interest and momentum, but that needs to be kept going by good results. I'm not convinced that we have a team or manager (even though I like Remi) that can cope with the rigorous demands of the more physical second division.Historically we struggle when we play lower league teams, and it will take a whole different mind set to turn this around. Our current squad is not mentally or physically tough enough to effect this change.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:36 pm

There are a lot of people on both sides saying either we will piss the league or we will drop like a stone. I think that it's unlikely we will struggle in the Championship but I do think that there is a genuine risk that we will end up having a prolonged stay if we are to have yet more austerity from Lerner and his highly paid puppets.

I think a number of players will be needed to allow us to make a promotion tilt. A new striker and goalkeeper seem to be top of our lists, I also think an experienced midfielder is a must and we will no doubt have to bring in a couple of players to replace the ones who get a better offer.

I actually think given backing and his own players Garde could get us back up but if all he has to look forward to is austerity I think he will jump ship.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:42 pm

The Championship will be unlike anything that Remi Garde has experienced so far in his football career. He may well adapt quickly, but will he be prepared to considerably change his style of playing football? Or will he move on to another club who will back his football philosophy?
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:03 pm

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-keep-sell-team-10941800?

Interesting poll by the Mail. What do you guys reckon?
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:16 pm

I don't think it's a question of what players we keep but what players we buy. Our team is so weak it needs a number of additions to ensure success in the Championship.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Harte on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:10 am

80% voted to keep Grealish? How is it possible for so many to be fooled?

Chris Harte
Private
Private

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:36 am

That 80% also thought he was a striker!
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:49 pm

If Grealish had anything about him he'd be looking at relegation as an opportunity to make an impact. He has been the biggest disappointment of this season. Which is saying quite something. Next season, he has to buck up his ideas and make an impact.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:13 pm

All I won't to see from Grealish is 100% effort for the team. At the moment it doesn't matter how well he plays (imo), it's how hard he plays that I will look at.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:18 pm

The two factors are linked, IMO, if a player with Jack Grealish's potential puts in 100% effort then good performances will surely follow.
Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:23 pm

I think Grealish's performance depends on the active support and positioning of our midfield and striker/s. His individual flashes of brilliance can't flourish in a void. Does that make him a luxury player?
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:40 pm

Something else to look forward to next season, fixtures being changed at the last minute: http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/new-low-for-sky-sports-charlton-middlesbrough-move

Sandie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:29 pm

Sandie wrote:Something else to look forward to next season, fixtures being changed at the last minute: http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/new-low-for-sky-sports-charlton-middlesbrough-move

That shows that the fan is firmly in last place, when it comes to a football league pecking order.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum