Is our problem psychological?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is our problem psychological?

Post by Sandie on Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:21 pm

A mate of mine made an interesting point to me last night. He was wondering what kind of things we do in terms of sports psychology and whether the club paid due attention to our players' heads. As an example, Guzan has gone from being solid and dependable to a goal shipping mess in the space of a couple of years. There is surely nothing more to this than him losing confidence than abilityMore often than not our players also tend to buckle under pressure, particularly when they have to play at Villa Park. Our home record has been poor for some seasons as our players seemed to fail to rise to the occassion for home games?

Is there something in this? Do we need to be working on our players minds as much as we do their fitness?
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Location : Looking forward to a local derby against Burton Albion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is our problem psychological?

Post by villabromsgrove on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:52 pm

Sandie wrote:A mate of mine made an interesting point to me last night. He was wondering what kind of things we do in terms of sports psychology and whether the club paid due attention to our players' heads. As an example, Guzan has gone from being solid and dependable to a goal shipping mess in the space of a couple of years. There is surely nothing more to this than him losing confidence than abilityMore often than not our players also tend to buckle under pressure, particularly when they have to play at Villa Park. Our home record has been poor for some seasons as our players seemed to fail to rise to the occassion for home games?

Is there something in this? Do we need to be working on our players minds as much as we do their fitness?
I joked yesterday about bringing Derren Brown to sort them out mentally. We do have a big problem with low self esteem and no belief that we are good enough (if in fact we are?) Villa are an easy touch at the moment for at least 18 other teams in the Premier.

You mentioned Guzan .... he plays confidently for the USA and yet he's weak and wobbly with Villa. That points to what you're saying, that a lot of our current problems stem from a total lack of confidence in each other as well as individually.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:12 pm

It's easier to sort out a lack of confidence than a lack of ability so if we started working on it it should be good news.

I'm not sure you can blame the players for lacking confidence especially ones like Guzan who have been with us for the last few seasons. The consecutive relegation battles, the uncertainty arounding the club's future and the way the club is ran (badly) from afar by Lerner must all take their toll.

I just hope there isn't a wider problem with the culture/mentality of the club. I wonder just how geared up some of our players are? Most of the players signed in the summer have relegation clauses in their contract and I saw a suggestion somewhere that with moneyball some players may be more interested in the next move than helping their current club. I also think we might be seen as an easy club to play for, probably an idea not helped by what we've heard the training ground was like under Sherwood.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan on Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:15 am

I think there is a big problem mentally for the players and especially at home. The sheer pressure of playing for such expectant crowd, not only gets to players, but look what it's done for the managers. When you see the state of both Eck and lambert and TS to a lesser extent at the end of their reigns, it's easy to see how there is a problem with the psyche. I have no idea what Garde's approach is to an holistic model and a sports psychologist, but I'd certainly be looking into it. This notion that one win will build confidence is right to a point, but it won't address the wider issues and culture we have at VP/BMH. I really hope Garde goes back in for his staff in January, the more of his team he can get around him, the better are chances are.
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:25 pm

I wonder whether our current players have it in them to be mentally tough? A "mind coach" could perhaps make the players take a long hard look at themselves, but I don't think this group of players will ever become a team of "eleven battling winners".

We probably concede more goals in the last ten minutes of a match than any other team, which indicates a "lack of moral fibre" as the army would say.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:17 pm

GadgetMan wrote:I think there is a big problem mentally for the players and especially at home. The sheer pressure of playing for such expectant crowd, not only gets to players, but look what it's done for the managers. When you see the state of both Eck and lambert and TS to a lesser extent at the end of their reigns, it's easy to see how there is a problem with the psyche.

I look at Lambert in particular when I think of that. By the end of his time with us he seemed to be a broken man and looked like he'd been sleeping rough. That's why I think he's not necessarily a bad manager and just got so badly worn down by the size of the task at the club. He lasted two and a bit seasons before the wheels really fell off after all. The fact is we are looking to the manager to break the cycle and the last few managers have been themselves caught the 'Villa disease' shows the difficulty in getting over it.
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:49 pm

Remi Garde has come into an unhealthy situation. Inexperienced bosses who appear to be out of their depth but still want to tell him what to do, and older players who appear to have decided for themselves that we're no hopers. How on earth he's going to get everyone pulling in the right direction is a real head scratcher.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove on Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:50 am

Is our problem psychological? Watford are a hard working passionate team with a plan, a decent manager but very little class.

We shall find out in a few hours.
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum